2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

over heating

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 12:58 PM
timothy4112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating

i have been fighting this problem for two years now.replaced everything twice and it still overheats. it only gets a little above normal with the a/c on and when im sitting in traffic. i used to kick the rpm"s up at stop signs to get the fan to pull more air but dont have that problem since i put a electric fan in it.has anyone seen that there temp spikes.after driving for a few i shut the truck offwait ten or so then turn it on and the temp is all the way up at hot.anyway..its a dodge dakota v8 4x4. any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
graffer1997
Default RE: over heating

did you try a coolant flush, mine was doing the same asyours untilI flushed the system. What temp thermostat did you put in? Also I installed a 16" electric fan I to was stepping on the gas at stoplights to pull more air with the stock fan.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

does it die? or does it just get really hot?
did you check the gauge and all sensors?
hitting the gas is kind of redundant, you heat the engine with more gas,any added airflow would'nt help much

Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 PM
graffer1997

I agree with you about stepping on the gas, But it did seem to help alittle. since the electric fan I have had no problems, well worth the $85.00

Old 06-09-2008, 09:51 PM
timothy4112

since i started having this problem i had the water pump changed,two thermostats and two radiator caps.didnt help so i had the radiator cleaned and nothing.the fan on the motor did cool the truck off if i was moving but sitting still at low rpms it would start getting hot.if you gave the truck a little gas it would turn the fan faster and pull more air and cool it down. i thought if i put a good two speed electric fan on it, it might help but it didnt.the electric fan was set to turn on the high speed when the a/c was turned on but i disconcted it to see if it ran on high all the time if it would be better, but it wasnt. if i shut the truck off and let the fan run it pulls the heat out of the radiator really good. it seems like it just cant keep up with the motor.starting to think i just need to get a better radiator.i live in vegas and it was 95 out today and with no a/c it started getting really hot. i know of this huge lake buy this big damn and i have a perfect green dodge anchor!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 PM
graffer1997

Is your temp guage reading accurately? I would hook it up to a live scanner and look at the coolant temp senser and then see if it somewhat coorolates with the factory guage.....JUST MT2 CENTS

Quick Reply: over heating