2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:55 PM
w9awx
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Question

I have searched the site and I know that I have seen this discussion before but I can't find any other references to oil changes. I am about to change my oil on my truck for the first time since I purchased it. It was changed this winter by a friend while on a trip but that was about 5000 miles ago. I am wondering what oil I should use. I have thought if putting in Amsoil if I can find a dealer nearby. Other choices are Castrol Syntech, Mobile 1 synthetic, and Pennzoil Platinum synthetic. I plan on doing 5000 mile oil and filter changes. Suggestions other then using different oils and I have my heart set on those (good past experiences). Stock is 5w30 all temp and 10w30 during the summer.

Suggestions or comments?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:06 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Question

i use mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w30 and a k&n gold oil filter, i change every 5,000 miles and have never had a problem after 60k miles.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It depends on the style of your driving. Is it all highway, all stop and go city or a combination of both? Any good quality brand oil will do fine if changed at the right intervals, and almost any oil filter will do the same. I say almost any filter because there is a certain brand of oil filter available almost everywhere that is not very good. I won't mention its name because I don't want to disparage their product. The filterI will mention is Wix. They are built like tanks, very solid and a good combination of oil flow and good filtration properties. You can buy Wix at Carquest, or the Napa Gold filter is a re-badged Wix. You can buy Napa Goldsonline for about $3 or $4 each at www.fleetfilter.com.At the Napa store a Napa gold filterwill run you about $6.50.The less expensive Napa ProSelect is also built by Wix to Napa specs but at your 5K oil change interval I would not recommend it. I usethe ProSelect on my Dakota but I always change myoil at 2800 to 3000 miles. TheWix website is www.wixfilters.com. I like Wix because it is a great filter and is made here inthe USA.

It's just a personal opinion but I think a good synthetic blend is better than a full synthetic oil. I use Valvoline Maxlife in my truck and it does a great job. Truck runs verywell, hasquiet starts and it seems to have improved the MPG. Napa brand oil is also re-branded Valvoline, so you can save a little moneythat way. Valvoline emailed me after I asked about it and said the Napa brand doesn't have the same amount of additives as name brand Valvoline but I haveno way to know if that is reallytrue. Maxlife works for me. It's also my own personal opinion but I do not buy into the Amsoil products. Any of the oils you mentionedin your post will do fine if you choose to go with a full synthetic.

It's all personal opinion. If you really want to learn about oil and filters, grease, maintenance and a lot of other info too you can visit www.bobistheoilguy.com.

Jimmy

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 with a mobil 1 filter...the k&n oil filter is just a mobil 1 filter with a nut welded on the end and a $5 more price tag.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:38 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks

the most important thing about oil is to have lots of zinc in the oil. i have done some searching on the internet on oil, filters, additives. i like to have oil as thick as i can and it still start in cold. so here is what i use, 2001 dak v6. valvoline premium blue 15w-40 oil. purolator pl14670 pure one filter, use only a pure one filter that is shown by the p in the part no. then you need to go to zddplus.com site and get some zinc from them. my truck starts ok in the winter, but we normaly dont get below 0 f.
i did have trouble with 20-50 not wanting to turn over in the winter.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 PM
w9awx
Professional

Ah I forgot about Bob's website. Thanks for reminding me Jimmy. I'll check out his comments.

As for my driving, most of my driving is on the weekends so there usually isn't a whole lot of traffic. All 40mph zone all the way to work. More stop and go driving on Monday thru Wednesday, my other work days.

Why would I want to use a heavier 40 or 50 weight oil when my truck manual suggests 5w30 for the entire year. The only other one I have heard of using (weight wise) is Castrol syntec 0w30 for the better cold temperature flow. Also apparently it is a better grade of oil then their 5w30 version.

Pretty much my choices are limited to what is available in either a NAPA, Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts store as those are really the only ones nearby or on my way to or from work.

Thanks for the suggestions and look forward to more suggestions.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i dont suggest going up in thickness either idc what proof there is if it was meant to run 5w-30 that means there are some smaller places that the thin oil needs to get too newer engines are different then old school engines and specs are a lot tighter and a thicker viscosity can do more bad then its worth imho.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 AM
big.bryant
Champion

i use 5w30 castrol syntec and have never had an issue. i also put in a fram tough guard air filter (i live in colorado, and drive hills, dusty, and high elevations). its a little more expensive but i still try to change it every 3000 miles. i work for a car dealership so i just buy the oil and have my techs put it in for me.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Bigmanangel

I drive a 1997 Dodge Dakota 133,887 miles. Can I use 5W20 synthetic blend engine oil?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always used full synthetics including Amsoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Walmart synthetic, Mobil 1, Pennzoil. In weights from 10W-30 to 5W-50. Filters including Mobil 1, Supertech, Napa, Amsoil, anything except Fram filters. Heavier weight oils I used in the summer. Never had an issue with my truck.

Quick Reply: Oil Question