2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

looking for new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM
lamchop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for new exhaust

I am trying to decide on what kind of exhaust to get, what do you guys have on your trucks? I was on summit racing looking at the choices that they have, I like the gibson duel side exhaust that they have, does anyone know how it sounds and how it looks compare to the rear exit?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
marchant
Professional
Default RE: looking for new exhaust

A few may have something different, but most on this forum have Flowmaster exhaust systems. The most common being the 40 Series muffler. I personally have the 50 series because it allows quieter cab noise and a little deeper rumble.

The 2nd most common one would likely be Magnaflow. Both websites should have sample clips, as well as Youtube has countless ones, which Im sure you can find for your engine.

As for the exit... its all just your opinion. i wouldn't reccomend the 45 degree cut on a Dakota, but the side or rear exit would look fine. You won't be able to hardly see the side exit from behind the truck, likewise you won't see much of it from the side if you put it on the rear (unless you have 3" tips like i do )

Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 AM
lamchop
Rookie

I had both of these exhaust system at one point or another on other cars but on summit i don't see any flowmaster for the dakota. did you get pipes made up for your truck? I see the Magnaflow duel but they only exit in the rear. I think I like the side look better. Nobody there has the Gibson on there truck?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
lamchop
Rookie

Marchant, do you have a pic of the exhaust from the back?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Billiam
Champion

I got the Flowmaster 40 Series. Single in, single out, 3". I love the way it sounds.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHN891Dw2Fk

Old 07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
300exoh
Rookie

I have a gibson cat back on my truck. It's not the side exit...I have the duals out the back but I believe the muffler is the same so it should sound about the same. Personally I like the sound of it. It's not at all loud at all in the cab and gives a nice deep aggressive sound from behind. I would like it to be a touch louder but the sound is just about right for me. I don't get any "cackling" sounds or popping when I decelerate like others I've heard either. I do think the exhaust was a bit overpriced and honestly I think I could have done better for the money by chosing a muffler I like and have a shop do a set of custom pipes. I probably could have saved $100 or more and got the same or better results. I have to admit the gibson cat back was built very well and everything fit exactly as it should...the only thing they cheaped out on was the clamps and hangers. I have had both of the hangers for the tailpipes break in the last year. I would suggest getting some good clamps and hangers instead of using the ones in the kit.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
marchant
Professional

ill have to go take a new back view pic... they others are kinda dark making the pipes not too visible

Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want something thats really deep i'd suggest a hooker aerochamber. its a lot deeper than a 40 series or 50 series and is about the loudness of a 40 series delta flow i love it. search hooker dakota on youtube i have a few clips up of it. i'd suggest just getting a muffler and tips of summit then get an exhaust shop to bend you up some pipes. i got the muffler and tips from summit for $135 and then it cost like $200 to get it on with pipes. mine also has a high flow cat as well. heres a few pic of my tips.
S7300190.jpg
S7300193.jpg
S7300194.jpg

Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM
raiders98
Rookie

Will a new muffler affect the sound much? Or will I have to buy a whole exhaust system?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recently i gutted out the dynomax system i had on my truck, got tired of it and the pipe collars on the muffler rusted off, leaving my tail pipes to drag on the pavement... went ahead and bought the full on stainless magnaflow system, its a hell of a lot better than the dynomax imo. a lot easier to install, and i have just a deep rumble from idle to full throttle, little to no cab noise, but you hear it when you have the windows open at highway speeds, plus i noticed i got some of my low end back..

for raiders98 : yes a muffler does play a vital role in sound output, and you will only need to replace the entire system if it is completely rusted out. most of the after market systems installed are cat back, meaning from behind the last catalytic converter to the tail pipes

Quick Reply: looking for new exhaust