2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

After throttle body swap help/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 PM
asilaydying
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After throttle body swap help/suggestions

I installed a V8 throttle body on my 3.9. Everything seemed successful until i took it out on the freeway and I had no passing gear. I push the pedal all the way to the floor and it just slowly increases speed and shifts gears at a slightly aggressive 3500 rpms. if i mash it at 35 it doesn't seem to go into the lowest gear possible to get moving. Is it possible to tighten up the throttle body cable? maybe it's not opening up all the way.

New v8 tb cable, cleaned the tb, cleaned the sensor and i used the bracket that came with the v8 tb. i chipped the plastic end taking off one of the cables during the swap but it wasn't totally broken and i hot glued back on and it appears to be functioning right. The broken tip was on the cable that is on the left side and clips into the back of the bracket. i have no idea what it's called. I reset the PCM.

v8 tb
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...c/100_0401.jpg
repaired cable tip installed v8 tb
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...c/100_0405.jpg
v6 tb
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...c/100_0394.jpg

any ideas?

Thanks

Old 08-14-2008, 06:45 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would suggest first removing the air hat and check to be sure the butterfly's on the new TB are opening up all the way when you floor the throttle. Then check to be sure the throttle position sensor is installed correctly and is reading the correct voltage at closed and wie open throttle. I know it's your truck and all but I would not trust the hot glue to hold in the heat under the hood. I'd get a V8 TB cable from the junk yard or Dodge dealer for the same year as the TB you installed. I bet the cable is just not pulling the linkage right. I had the same problems with my own V8 TB.

Jimmy

Old 08-14-2008, 07:42 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at first glance i would say its the 'custom' hot glue job.
all the engine bay temps would melt that sucker off on a long trip anyway. just go junk yard the appropriate part and be done with it. i don't advise trying to hack the current cable by yourself it almost always doesn't work right.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The piece you glued is the throttle valve cable. The adjustment on that is very picky, so when you floor it hard the glue might be flexing or stretching just enough that the throttle valve on the tranny isn't in sync with the engine.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

try pushing the tv cable back a bit Towards the firewall. That should adjust your shift points/kick down. 1/8" will make a difference. If that doesn't work do it again. Untill you find the happy medium.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:44 PM
asilaydying
Rookie

Originally Posted by varsis
try pushing the tv cable back a bit Towards the firewall. That should adjust your shift points/kick down. 1/8" will make a difference. If that doesn't work do it again. Untill you find the happy medium.
Are you suggesting to just push the plastic piece through the bracket or bend the bracket back?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 PM
asilaydying
Rookie
Smile

1. replaced the throttle valve cable tip. (i went to the junk yard and pulled an identical cable off a jeep. i could not figure out how to remove the other end without removing the transmission. it doesn't look like an easy cable replacement for the magnum either. the new piece is firm and working much better than the broken one.
2. detached and reattached throttle position sensor (has a little twist to it)
3. moved the tv cable back by pushing it thorough the bracket
drove around the block. still shifting at 3600 rpm's.
4. drank a beer
5. replaced the throttle position sensor with the one the new tb came with
6. drank another beer (fed up with the whole thing)
7. waiting till tomorrow to drive it again.
pics of wide open tb:
tb with pedal to the floor
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...c/100_0407.jpg

tb forced all the way open
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...c/100_0408.jpg

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Odd that it would still shift there after adjusting the cable way back like that. Maybe it is sliding in the bracket? Also, the pedal end of the cable did you make sure that was put on properly. I noticed a very stiff pedal after putting mine in.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 PM
asilaydying
Rookie

the tv cable is snapping right back into place after the pedal is pushed down that's why there was no change. the tb cable has been snapped and locked into the gas pedal. the pedal feels the same as with the old cable, not extremely stiff but not loose either.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:17 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by asilaydying
the tv cable is snapping right back into place after the pedal is pushed down that's why there was no change. the tb cable has been snapped and locked into the gas pedal. the pedal feels the same as with the old cable, not extremely stiff but not loose either.
You need a new TV Cable, about 50 bucks at the dealer. It's not hard to place it is just more of a pain than anything. I suggest disconnecting the lower end on the transmission it takes like a slide off I think. Next is undo the top bracket. Attach one end of the cable to one of the old and pull so you don't have to do it yourself it will be back in the same place.

Chris

Quick Reply: After throttle body swap help/suggestions