2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

strange electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strange electrical issues

hey guys, I'm trying to help out my friend who has a 2002 4.7 auto 2wd SCSB dakota. For some reason, his lights (all of them including the interior lights), power locks, intermittent wipers, and keyless entry thing arent working. it has happened to him before but the problem fixed itself, this time it isnt. the problem also seems to be brought on by rain. I can remember someone had this same problem one time and it was either a relay or a fusable link or something. I was hoping someone could help me out, i've been looking in my haynes manual but it doesnt really help. Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 11:39 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If all the fuses and relays are Ok, I would suspect the Central Timer Module. It controls all of the functions you mentioned that are having problems, plus it controls a lot more. Just about every electrical component in the truck runs thru the CTM. It's located in the driver's kick panel and is a thin black box with a couple of plugs and probably 50 wires going to it. You could try unplugging it and let it sit a few minutes, plug it back in then disconnect the battery and hold the ignition key in the start position for about half a minute to reset the PCM and connect the battery up again. See if that might reset the CTM. From you mentioning the problem happens in the rain you might want to check for evidence of a water leak in the truck too that could ruin electrical components. If it is the CTM you can get one from a junk yard as long as the donor truck has the same options as your friend's truck. Whether it's a used or new CTM it still might need to be programmed at the dealer. You have to have the dealer DRB-2 tool to program it to the truck and to code the original keyless entry controls to the new CTM. The keyless entry is an internal part of the CTM.

You can also turn the iginition key on then off, on then off, on then off, on and leave it on and any stored trouble codes will display in the odometer. But do that before you disconnect the battery and reset the PCM. I don't know if a bad CTM will set a code but it's worth a try to help figure it out. If you do get codes you can post or search here to find out what they mean.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 08-17-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats dodge wireing for you......i have a problem with my head lights.....

when i turn the switch on with the wheel tilted up....my low beams, high beams, fogs, turn signals all work....but when i tilt the wheel down.....my low beams are teh only thing that dont come on?!?!?!?!?!!?!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 PM
f0x672
Champion

could be the CTM, id look around online for testomonials like that to give that a start plus check your ground connections...

loud pedal, sounds like theres a problem wiring running into your column. where i would start is pull the covers off and wiggle the wires around with your headlights on, blinkers/hazards and windshield wipers going.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do u go along with that????(taking the covers off)

Old 08-17-2008, 10:57 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

Thanks alot guys, after studying the wiring diagram lastnight I started suspect the CTM, but i'm going to check out fuses and relays first before i get into that. I wanna try to avoid him having to get another CTM if I can, who knows maybe if I unplug it for a while and blow it out it might be alright since it has happened before. Loudpedal- I would say your problem is from a wire getting pinched in your steering column. get a haynes manual if you're not sure how to take it apart, it tells you everything. I have to say buying a haynes manual has been one of the best investments i've ever made. It's saved my *** quite a few times and it's always good to have around if you've got a friend who'se having trouble.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 PM
f0x672
Champion

theres 2 screws when you look below the steering wheel. not to shoot you down wink but i have had better luck with chilton manuals compared to most haynes. the 1st gen dakota haynes manuals suck

Old 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

a chilton manual might be better, i dont know ive never looked at one. where i'm from all ive ever seen is the haynes manual.

Quick Reply: strange electrical issues