2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

brake theat to end all brake threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake theat to end all brake threads

hey, i know alot of people hate the brakes on their 2nd gen. daks. I am one of those people. I've gotten new pads and new rotors before and they were supposed to be the best ceramic brakes available. I had them done at monro muffler about 3 years ago and i still hate them. They grab terribly when it's wet outside, make a groaning sound and seem to "slip" when comming to a stop, to make a long story short, i'm tired of these **** brakes and i want good ones.
today i replaced the pads on my 88 dak, and it only took like an hour with my dad helping. I've decided after this winter I want to put the best brakes I can on my 01 dak. I want them to last for a long time and i want really good stopping power and really durable. I've heard some people have swapped to viper brakes, I dont care if thats what I have to do, I want it done. What advice to you guys have on good pads/rotors/calipers etc...???

Old 09-07-2008, 01:18 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you need viper pads, but You can find a new rotor. Don't get one with holes, or anything fancy like that. Get a Better brake cylinder, with some good calipers. I heard of some gm ones being good.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM
00DakR/T
Veteran

About the only way I know you will get rid of the brakes grabbing when they are wet is to ditch the rear drum setup. Mine are the same way and I have been looking at doing a rear disc brake swap. I can't really explain why but almost all DCX vehicles have less than desireable drum brake performance. They grab, they make god-awful squeaking, etc. etc.

For what its worth, I have found that the only dealer or junkyard parts you would need to do the conversion would be the rear caliper brackets, brake hoses, and proportioning valve. All the other parts are available from your local parts store. I just haven't had the time or the cash to do it on mine yet.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:10 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

.....mine don't grab no matter what the conditions....
standard pads and all that...
of course i clear the brakes by putting very slight pressure on the pedal before i have to stop,

Old 09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

thats a biking technique for rim brakes lol thats were i learned to do it i usually am just really careful in the rain until i have stopped once or twice then my brakes are fine
and my brakes are really fu<king sensitive so idk what you guys are complaining about
(disk/drums are what i have on mine so thats not it)

Old 09-07-2008, 12:25 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

its also a technique used by guys who know how brakes work.
the drums are the trouble, water sits at the bottom even when moving, disc brakes shed water pretty easily

Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea that makes sense and like i said i do that same thing

but i have been biking longer than i have been driving and thats were i lerarned that technique and ive never heard it taught as a car driving one but it is definetly a good idea

Old 09-07-2008, 12:50 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

i will have disk brakes all around soon... once im done my swap!.... next month probably... lol

Old 09-07-2008, 02:43 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

batman, my brakes grab during the first 3 or 4 stops no matter what. even if i just tap the brake pedal it jerks to a stop. I can hear that the groaning and "slipping" sensation, even after the brakes have been warmed up, is comming from the front of the truck. Yes my drums squeek, but I know they are not the problem. I know this because when my brakes grab, I have seen skid marks from the front tires in the grass or on pavement. I would like to be able to convert to disks in the rear, just because of the extra stopping power. But the first thing on my mind is putting the best brakes that are available on the front. Does anyone know of any aftermarket setup that are available for daks?

Old 09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

Quick Reply: brake theat to end all brake threads