2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Gearing, LSD, Lockers, speed sensor,

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM
JonesFTC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing, LSD, Lockers, speed sensor,

Hello Forum Members,

I could really use some help here,

I am Going to install Detroit truetrac's in both the front and rear. Differentials of my 2001 dodge Dakota.

The rear is straight forward but the front has IFS and I am wondering what I am going to run into with the whole rack and pinion steering and such. I am not going to do this all my self but I need to get all the parts.

so far I know I have a corporate 9 open in the back with 3.55. and think I have a Dana 30 in the front.

My question. can I just order the Detroit truetrac's and 4.10 gears for both of these differentials and put it together or am I not seeing why this is not going to work?

Thanks for you help.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

do you plan on lifting this truck?

Ordering the gears is important. First you need to know what carrier break is at. Make sure you get thick or bigger carriers if needed.

If your lifting this truck you will destroy the front diff in no time.

Chris

Old 10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry bud, thats no dana 30, thats a chrysler 205mm cast aluminum axle.. they sir are garbage. hate to tell it to ya but last i checked, dana only made solid axles.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:36 AM
JonesFTC

Originally Posted by f0x672
sorry bud, thats no dana 30, thats a chrysler 205mm cast aluminum axle.. they sir are garbage. hate to tell it to ya but last i checked, dana only made solid axles.
Thanks for the information on the front axle, you just saved me allot of headaches
Yeah.. if you could not tell I have no Idea who makes what and what for. That was just the best I answer I could find from a fruitless internet search. I had a feeling there was nothing I could do for the front being IFS. I should not have assumed when I bought the truck that just because Mopar makes Jeeps and Dodge that there would be just as many parts available. Hopefully I can ditch this Dakota after I finish what I need it for and find a solid axle truck before next summer. It is too bad you cannot get the best of both worlds from the Dakota.

Is it the Ram 2500 that still has the sold front axle?

I do not plan on lifting the truck. I just need to get through muddy ranch hills in the rain. It is fine in the winter when the mud is frozen but I have been stuck every time I am there after wet weather this past summer.

Last edited by JonesFTC; 10-24-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:58 PM
f0x672
Champion

the rams still have SFS, but with the dakota, the only reason i got to say why the IFS in them sucks is due to the case splitting from extensive heavy mud boggin and other wheelin. other wise the unit will hold up. i believe theres aftermarket for the front ring and pinion as well.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Default.aspx
... they are listed as a chrysler 8.0, call them to verify its the same axle, otherwise they have a nice selection on the dakota axles, both front and rear

Old 10-24-2008, 03:37 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Or you can solid axle it like me

Old 10-24-2008, 03:47 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

stop bragging varsis...........lol

Old 10-24-2008, 03:53 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

LOL Il show you!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 PM
JonesFTC

it is worth bragging Varsis

I saw your thread on the project for the dana 60s. I look forward to the results. I on the other had would be stoked if there was some way to part time lock the front 205. I would just be satisfied if there was any way in H€££ to just limit the slip in the 205.

At least there are some options for the corporate 9. with the exception of ARB air locker which is the one I want. people are trying to talk me out of the Detroit truetrac by telling me the auburn posi is a better system except the need for rebuilds and such.

I like this truck, Dodge did a good job building a street sized pickup but for the life of me I cannot understand why I have to buy full sized to get the options I need?

Although it would be incredible to build and own. I would hope to find a compromise between the Varsis machine and open differentials.

I am burned out on looking. I expected to have parts ordered by now.
any advice for the best 3x4 I can build?

Oh and to describe this mud. it is like grease. if you are on a hill fully stopped with all 4 brakes locked you start sliding down

Last edited by JonesFTC; 10-25-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:02 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

why don't you check if there is a lunchbox locker? (Lockright Locker) will work in an open diff not sure if they have them but it will work other wise.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/lock-right-locker.htm

Chris

Quick Reply: Gearing, LSD, Lockers, speed sensor,