2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

new here need help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
beefy696969
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here need help PLEASE

ok here is the situation. Today we got our first bit of snow, I was stuck at the bottom of a hill and could not move, so i put it into 4x4 and got up the hill no problem. The problem came when i went to take it out of 4x4, it just would not come out no matter what i did. FInally I put the car in Neutral as well as the shifter below, it finally came out of 4x4.

I have used the 4x4 a few times this year and have not had an problems at all.

I know this is going to sound really stupid to some people but would having 2 differnt wheel sizes on the truck cause this to happen? I got another set of rims and rubber for the winter time but only put the back ones on to see how they would handle, this was a few days ago, have not had a chance to put them on the front yet.

However these new rimes and rubber i got sit about 2 inches lower then the other tires. The tires on the back are smaller in hight. Would this cause the problem because the wheels are spinning at a different speed? or is it something else?

I am starting to think here because when I stop completly it would not really matter if the tires are a different size or not, but then again I really know nothing about all of this.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

the tuck is a 2000 dakota 4.7L 4x4

if you need any other info just ask..

thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if im not mistaken, you're t-case has a stick shifter. from what i remember you gotta jam those bastards outta gear, although going into neutral does help or while hte vehicle is still rolling. also, different size tires is very bad. will cause axle and driveline bind, snapping u joints, stripping out splines and damaging t-case gears. i wouldnt even do it on snow, id always make sure i have the same diameter tires all around. thats personal preference, and then again repairs are costly.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

tire size shouldn't matter, iv seen people who have like 40's in the front and 38's in the rear if not bigger. But yea those stick shifters can be a bitch. I always have problems with mine and sometimes none at all. Neutral really helps though.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

YES TIRES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! my buddy has a 98 JGC with the 5.2 and we got a flat one day. now, he has 31"s all around but the spare was only a 29" or so, anyway long story short, he completely NUKED the t-case. i would change those suckers right away.

Varsis, i suppose that it wouldn't matter if you are slinging mud all day, but this is different. IDK, I'm just speaking from experience...

Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 PM
beefy696969
Default ...

i have no problems with actually shifting from 4x4 back to normal, the shifter moves just fine, the problem is that even after I shift the shifter the truck is still in 4x4.

i tried this a few times, just to see if it was a fluke or something.... i would shift into 4x4 drive for a few seconds then shift back into 2wd, but the truck was still in 4x4, i could tell just by the way it felt when driving. the first time i just drove it and eventually felt a clunk and it went back to normal, i did not like that sound so the next time i felt it was still in 4x4 after i had shifted back to 2wd i stopped and put it in neutral, then reverse and it worked.

the truck would always ****f from 4x4 to 2wd no problem, just not now for some reason, so i am hoping its just the differnt tire sizes on right now.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:55 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yes put the same size tires on all four corners, if you do not you will F*CK up your tcase as the driveshafts (front and back) will not be turning a the same speed, this will cause problems, including extra gear wear and bad tire wear if used regularly just think aobut it, the engine is trying to turn all four wheels that same speed (in radians per second, or revolutions per second) but w/ different diameters then are attempting (not actually doing it) to travel different distances of ground, this will cause some major issues, i could write out the physics of it if you need me to but i think this should suffice

if you have any other questions just let me know

Old 11-19-2008, 09:57 PM
f0x672
Champion

damn i love it when im right... hahaha

Old 11-19-2008, 10:43 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with everyone else on the tire sizes issue thats why if you have a lsd in the rear too and you change a flat tire if one is smaller put it in the front because it will wreak all kinds of havoc on your rear if left like that. and about the transfer case not changing back for a while i think it is a common thing. i test drove a jeep when i was looking for a new car that did the same thing and the guy took me out and drove it for like a quarter mile till it popped back to 2wd and idk if he was just tryin to sell it or not but said it was normal.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:36 AM
big.bryant
Champion

just get an electric ****/dial/thingy...

Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 AM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by big.bryant
just get an electric ****/dial/thingy...
of course! what was the part number for that again?