2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

More Tow-Hook Talk...

Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
DemonRR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i managed to install this yesterday. took about 2 hours to bolt this thing up. you loose the oem "mud guard" as its in the way a little. so removed that and the install went easier. 6 bolts total. it is an easier job wiht 2 people, as the receiver os about 50lbs. we used a floor jack to aupport the receiver in the center so we could get it into position easier.
ill try and get some pics tomorrow or tuesday after my new nitto terra grapplers are on. been super busy rocking out side jobs all weekend so no time to get pics when the sun was out.

it does reduce the approach clearance just a little. but well worth it to have front tow/pull-out points. the receiver hole is about 2" lower than the lower air dam of the front bumper. but shouldnt pose that much of a hassle when wheeling. we'll see this saturday when we do our annual "snow-fari" trip.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:35 PM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah pics would be sweet... also i'd love to see pics of your truck snow-fari-ing it up!

cheers

Old 01-17-2009, 12:14 AM
DemonRR

Originally Posted by big.bryant
yeah pics would be sweet... also i'd love to see pics of your truck snow-fari-ing it up!

cheers
sorry guys, been real busy getting cars ready for the Detroit Auto Show all this week. i have the batteries being charged up. tomorrow ill snap some pics as well as get some pics playing in the snow. nice 2hr freeway drive to get to this privately owned place.

ill be back sunday morning and get pics up. and love these Nitto Terra Grapplers A/T's. and these will rub the inside fedner well cover, right on the inside by the lower bumper. might have to trim it a bit. no biggie. tires are 265/75/16 and torsion bars jacked up.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
DemonRR

here are a couple pics of the front receiver. sorry, no up close pics yet. i have to power wash all the snow and ice off tomorrow at work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
truck pics 009.jpg (97.0 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg
truck pics 007.jpg (86.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:15 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mounts below.. nice... for some odd reason i was thinking the hitch would of been sticking out through the bumper.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM
big.bryant
Champion

Originally Posted by f0x672
mounts below.. nice... for some odd reason i was thinking the hitch would of been sticking out through the bumper.
i thought the same thing but its w/e... sure that snow-fari was a blast haha

Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks sweet! Just last week I just installed a front hitch too. I already had tow hooks and now a hitch too. I custom made mine. Thats great you found one made spacifly for your truck. heres a quick pic.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

how much did that run you>

Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
DemonRR

Originally Posted by big.bryant
i thought the same thing but its w/e... sure that snow-fari was a blast haha
check in the "off road" section. i made a thread with a few pics. i just got the rest of the pics in today, so ill post them in a few.

Originally Posted by varsis
how much did that run you>
if i remember correctly, i think it was 135 shipped. completely bolt-on, absoltely NO modification needed. but you will have to remove or alter (cut), the oem splash sheild. im gonna find a way to reinstall it, as i took it out due to frustratin and the fact it was cold as hell and going on 2+hr install.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 PM
jlampitt
Professional

I'm back on this project, developing a custom solution that utilizes the openings in the lower bumper that LOOK LIKE they were specifically designed to accommodate tow hooks.

My question is, is it (ever) OK to weld something to the frame? I'm thinking of fabricating some brackets to mount a pair of the Ram tow hooks. So, I wanna weld the mounting brackets to the frame and then tow-hooks to the brackets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Tow-Hook Talk...