2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota Collectable Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 AM
5mtDakota47
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Collectable Question

I've got a Red 2000 Regular Dakota with less than 15k on the odometer and it's got the 4.7l v8 with the NV3500 5 speed manual transmission in a 4x2 flavor. It's got 3.92 with the Limited Slip differential, Sport Package, and some other goodies. The truck is in show room shape, no scratches, no dents, no accidents, and I have all the original paper work, keys, etc. It also gets stored every winter in my heated poll barn and never driven during the winter time, let alone if it will rain out during the summer. It technically has only been driven while it was sunny and dry out.

I'm never going to sell it... but I was wondering more of how rare it is?

Also, is there any way to tell how many of these trucks were made during this model year in this configuration?

I love this truck, and it's more of a conversation piece around my house than anything... I'd prefer to rather look at it and talk about it than drive it sometimes... but driving it puts icing on the cake. All the people that have oohed and ahhed over this truck has been countless. They are surprised it's got a v8, and when I tell them it's got a 5 speed, they are speechless. It's kind of sick, but funny.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

its not "that" rare... someday it may be, but its still a truck, and for some reason trucks just arent collectible unless there were only a few made in the first place.
like the little red wagon rams, those are collectible,

now, a 5.9 r/t with a factory 5 speed, that would be a collectible someday
of course, 2.5 daks are rare and hard to find, but nobody really cares about them

Old 11-30-2008, 12:10 PM
5mtDakota47
Amateur

Originally Posted by batman13
its not "that" rare... someday it may be, but its still a truck, and for some reason trucks just arent collectible unless there were only a few made in the first place.
like the little red wagon rams, those are collectible,

now, a 5.9 r/t with a factory 5 speed, that would be a collectible someday
of course, 2.5 daks are rare and hard to find, but nobody really cares about them
True.

I'm still rather curious aproximately how many were stick with the 4.7l v8 reg cab though... it's gotta be lower than the R/T reg cab 5.9l v8 automatics... people tend to go with autos vs manuals, unless you are a gearhead like me. If you see my point.

I'd love to have one of those red wagon rams, too... but that will never happen.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:30 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

yea, well the R/Ts never had a manual option, they were all auto, so you see the thing....

i have no idea where you could go to find that info other than e-mailing some body at dodge and requesting the info

Old 11-30-2008, 05:38 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its just a truck. you may as well drive it like one. nothing reallly holds value these days

Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a pretty sweet truck though. Iv never seen one like that w/ a 4.7. Iv seen quite a few 5.2 reg cabs 5speeds.

You should just mod it though. That could be a fast truck easily. A reg cab 5 speed 4.7 could probably keep up w/ a 5.9 club cab (via the worst transmission ever made). That could be a nice little sleeper.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

anything with 4 wheels and a motor is inevitably a money pit. unless its some kind of old muscle car, but i would beat the hell out of one of those if i had one anyway. cars are meant to be driven and ENJOYED!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Yeah unless you have a special edition vehicle or a 1960s-70s muscle car its not going to realy be worth much more. Most people are just going to see another pickup. Although we know its a pretty sweet truck people who do not know as much about vehicles just see another truck.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
big.bryant
Champion

not to be a dick or anything... "if you want to look at a car, buy a poster"

basically there is really no sense in having a truck to keep as a "collector" item, unless of course it was one of only a handful made. i would almost bet that trying to find a quad cab 4x4 4.7 5 speed with 3.55s is about as rare as the truck you are talking about...

if i were you, i would mod it and make it a fast "sleeper" and drive it to have fun with it. only cars like the 71 plymouth cuda hemi convertible w/ 4 speed are the ones that i would keep in the garage most of the time (since they made like 11 total and only 5 or 7 with the manual tranny)

cheers

Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

since you in the low 20k mile range...id say keep the engine and do a Kenne bell SC and build the tran as well as some engine strenght adn do a posi out back....make it one bad *** sleeper...

havein low miles is good bc you dont have to worry about haveing too many miles where a SC can blow your motor easily

Quick Reply: Dakota Collectable Question