2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 Sport 5.2, Auto trans swap?? or stay auto....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:33 PM
CharDak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 Sport 5.2, Auto trans swap?? or stay auto....

I have a 1998 Dakota Sport with a 5.2, Auto. I just bought it 5 days ago and now the transmission is gone. It just barely moves in reverse and will not shift out of first gear. I love the truck and want to get it going again ASAP.

I have a friend who has a 1995 Dakota 5.2, 5sp that I can get REAL cheap as the motor is shot. What I want to know is does this truck have everything I would need for a trans swap??? Or are the clutch/brake pedal assembly, slave cylinder/clutch master cyl set up, crossmember, mounts, and so on different.

Or am I just better off getting another auto from the junkyard(though after reading all these posts and based on my own experiences im not sure I want another auto.

Any help and info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you if its a 2WD you can get another auto real cheap. Heck it got a brand new one for a grand. Dodge def. doesn't have the best autos on the market lol.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

if you can get the whole truck more or less transfer everything over and it's good to go..

Old 12-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Too many Daks

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I can tell you if its a 2WD you can get another auto real cheap. Heck it got a brand new one for a grand. Dodge def. doesn't have the best autos on the market lol.
No way. Our auto's in these trucks are strong as hell, basically 727's and 904's with an overdrive tacked on. Just as anything else goes, regular maintenance makes them last for a very long time. Neglect it and/or use crappy fluid, and you will reap the benefits. Before you buy something used, like mine with 100k on it, you have to know what you are looking at. Ha, after nine of them, I think I do...

Old 12-13-2008, 11:44 PM
spencea15
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Too many Daks
No way. Our auto's in these trucks are strong as hell, basically 727's and 904's with an overdrive tacked on. Just as anything else goes, regular maintenance makes them last for a very long time. Neglect it and/or use crappy fluid, and you will reap the benefits. Before you buy something used, like mine with 100k on it, you have to know what you are looking at. Ha, after nine of them, I think I do...
You clearly have not been around much, the auto trans in these trucks do not last even with proper maintenance. If the truck is used as a truck the trans will not last more then 120k in 98% of the trucks.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too many Daks
if you read up on the auto transmissions on these trucks, you'll see that they are similar to 727's and 904's but thats only in design. they dont use the same parts, and the parts they do use are weaker. you are correct about maintenance though. alot of people dont think about the transmission when it comes to routine maintenance. if they are properly maintained they can last for quite a while. the 42re in my truck has never had the fluid changed, but I check it about once a month and it is still as pink as it was when it came out of the factory. The transmission shifts as smooth as it was when it was brand new and never skips or gear hunts or anything. It does seem as though the 44RE and 46RE have alot of trouble though, and I think it may have something to do with the fact that the 5.2/5.9 are torque monsters and it takes really strong parts to hold up for a long time.

Anyway, back to the original post, if you buy that whole truck you should be able to swap the whole drivetrain. The crossmember and mounts should be the same. maybe give it a look first before you buy it just to make sure.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:02 AM
coreed

the 5spd would be a good way to go. the autos just dont last.i could be wrong but isnt a 95 a different gen then a 98? if dodge didnt change anything with the motor and trans between those years then its worth a shot. it would be easy to just do a stock trans swap but it would be worth the extra time spent on it to put a 5spd in it instead!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:28 PM
big.bryant
Champion

i also would go with the 5 speed. not only will it last longer but is a lot more fun to drive

Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Too many Daks

Originally Posted by spencea15
You clearly have not been around much, the auto trans in these trucks do not last even with proper maintenance. If the truck is used as a truck the trans will not last more then 120k in 98% of the trucks.
Ha, sure, pal. I maintain a lot of my friend's trucks also, which ALL have over 200,000 miles on them. EVERY ONE OF THEM has the original trans. My friend's 97 Ram just cracked 265k, and his trans is in great condition. Like I said, I have a lot of experience with them, and they are a great transmission. Compare them to the 4L60E in the gm's or the AOD in the Fords. You will see that Chrysler's overdrive is superior.

Yes, they are the same trans as the 727 and 904 by design. The internal parts are not weaker or inferior to the non overdrives. The problem on the overdrives is the torque converter. They have inferior lockup clutch material, and if not maintained, will burn up and send the junk from the converter and clutches into the valve body, which causes the rest of the trans to go haywire. That problem is DIRECTLY RELATED to improper fluid and lack of maintenance. Ask any Mopar mechanic, I guarantee you will get the same answer.

As for the question of manual or auto, it is really up to you whether you want to row your own boat or not. As far as I know, all you really need for that kind of swap is the trans, crossmember, linkage, and a pedal setup out of a second gen. IDK, first gen might work, but I am not sure, so I wont recommend. I am sure someone here has more info.

BTW, glad to be here. Nice meeting you guys.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Welcome to the forum! Way to make waves on your first thread lol

Quick Reply: 98 Sport 5.2, Auto trans swap?? or stay auto....