2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

security on 2000 r/t

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
HK_JJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security on 2000 r/t

hey guys,

im looking at installing an alarm system on the truck, but iv never done one before, iv done stereo system but never an alarm. iv been told its easy to do rather than spend 250-300 just to install it. its just an alarm with keyless entry.

also how do i kno if the truck already has an alrm system in it with keyless? i bought it used and never got a remolt but the security light comes on it the dash hen i turn on the key.

iv got a hanyes maual for it but it has nothing like this in it.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:04 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not as easy as it sounds. If you are not familiar with installing alarms and are not familiar with wiring and the operation of relays, diodes and resistors (it takes all 3 to do a system in a Dakota, whether it has a factory alarm/keyless entry or not) it may be better to have your alarm professionally installed.

Jimmy

Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 PM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah i wired a hazard light for my buddy's plow one time into a switch in the cabin and it was a PITA... an alarm system? not for me, i would bite the bullet and pay somebody for it..

Old 12-14-2008, 08:38 PM
HK_JJ

yea i think i might just do that.

what about the factory alarm how do i figure out it it had the keyless entry option?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:39 PM
big.bryant
Champion

maybe check on the internet if there is a reciever or relay you can check and see if you have?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my own security on my last car, after going through that I happily ponied up the $250 to have my viper installed on my dak. I enjoy doing my own work but after the first time I had no interest in dealing with that again.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IM sure you had the keyless entry option, R/T's usually had like all the options available. I would just pay someone to do it, that stuff can get really messy real fast.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:37 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The keyless entry system is an internal part of the Central Timer Module. You can look up the options on yuor truck by using the VIN, there are probably web sites to do that. The easiest way to find out is call the Dodge dealer with your VIN and they should be able to tell you if it has keyless. If all you want is keyless entry but you don't have the remote, the Dodge dealer can order one and program it to work in your truck. That might cost less than buying an alarm system.

Jimmy

Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What he said ?/\/\/\

as for alarms and installing them.. not fun. I had the Viper 791xv put on mine, remote start, auto window, 2 way lcd keychain, 1 mile range.. lots of bells and whissles.. took me and one other guy to install it.. took 8 hours.

I worked at Best Buy at the time as an basic installer.. and well.. ill NEVER install an alarm again.. probably the worst time i had working on my truck.. buy after it was done.. it was worth it.. i love my 500$ alarm.. its already paid for itself like 3 times...

I install radios, subs, amps, caps, gauges, hardwire radars, ect.. but doing an alarm was not fun.. and i hated it..

everything else is fun to me, ive done all the electrical work on my truck.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 PM
HK_JJ

ok thanks guys,

i'll def. check out the dealer and see about the remolt, cause if i can get that i dont really need another alarm, i really just want the keyless entry option and well a remolt start but ill have that installed by a pro later on.

Quick Reply: security on 2000 r/t