2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Eliminate fog lights...what to do with holes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:47 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having them there is not going to make a noticable difference, and when they get covered in sand and dirt, its going to make it worse. In the summer it may work fine, but come winter the roads are covered in sand and water and salt. It would not be pratical. And while the filter will get 98% of it, some will still get through, probably not enough to make a difference but still.

This is something you see on a drag car because every little bit helps with 7-8-900+ hp. Plus they are going a 1/4 mi and the strip is clean. So yes it is plausable there, but for every day use? I dunno, Its not going to give any more noticable hp and may hurt it once they get clogged with dirt, even if you can clean it.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 PM
f0x672
Champion

its pretty much the same thing as an intake kit put on a rice burner. jamming 3 feet of pipe with the filter at the end, 3 inches from the ground. helped a kid on my shop put on on his car. no ill effects according to him, just no puddles. haha

Old 12-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about you just not do the ram air untell after the winter is over...adn when it rolls around again...just reinstall teh stock airbox!!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 PM
usmrocks
Veteran

even if i did it i wouldn't worry about anything going in it where i live

Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 PM
bpark8824
Champion

I see you live in Mississippi, so you could get away with it, just no puddles like fox said lol. Up here in New England we get so much crapy weather in the winter it would not be too good for it.

You guys don't think rain would hurt it much being right out in the open?

Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

no i dont think rain would hurt it that much, because rain is just wathe water would hit the back tube and lay in the boter, and d oyou know hoe DENSE water is? its pretty dense, which means that a little bit of it has a good amount of weight, and that trying to go UP a straight incline would not work very well, also most of the water would settle to the bottom of the tubing so just make a drain hole into the tubing

so there should not be much to worry about IMO

Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

keep in mind that a filter will still need to be inline with the ram air

Old 12-18-2008, 11:16 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

I go with the piping for CAI. Just get some screening to cover the top of the pipe before fitting it into the holes. Then, for Winter time(if you get snow) get some form of heavier plastic and paint to match the bumper and cover it up.

Originally Posted by bpark8824
twin turbo'd vehicles don't drive in rain or snow.

They drive just fine. It's not the vehicles fault the owners are wimps.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudPedal45
keep in mind that a filter will still need to be inline with the ram air

yes that is correct, i just didnt mention it bc we were saying above that the filter would catch anything that made it up that high earlier

Originally Posted by OneBadKota
I go with the piping for CAI. Just get some screening to cover the top of the pipe before fitting it into the holes. Then, for Winter time(if you get snow) get some form of heavier plastic and paint to match the bumper and cover it up.
that could work if you are really worried about it, but you are also driving a truck, even the fog lights sit high enough that they shouldnt be hitting the snow

Originally Posted by OneBadKota
They drive just fine. It's not the vehicles fault the owners are wimps.

+1000000000000

Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325

that could work if you are really worried about it, but you are also driving a truck, even the fog lights sit high enough that they shouldnt be hitting the snow

Not so much snow, but slush. I know when I drive with the slush it attaches to the whole front end of my truck. If I were to have that setup in some of the stuff I drive in and how I drive, the pipes would probably fall off from too much weight.

Quick Reply: Eliminate fog lights...what to do with holes?