2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New member here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Spoolio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here!

Hey what's up guys, im new to the site, been messin' with dakota's for awhile now, just thought i would come on and share some stuff and help people out, and get some help that i need.

I wanted to share this with whoever would like to care.

I was searching online for a front grille for my 99' dakota v6.

everything was so expensive. So what alot of people have done in the past and i have done with some cars was pick up some wire mesh gutter covers. So here are my results, Tell me what you guys think.

BEFORE:

P1010008-1.jpg

AFTER:

Also I wanted to know if there are any guys that could give me a wire schemetic on my 4 wire o2 sensor?

i'm looking to install an a/f gauge.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. WELCOME!
2. the grille looks great, next step is to paint match the upper portion of your front bumper.
3. i have a A/F gauge sittin around, let me know if you wanna buy it.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 PM
f0x672
Champion

welcome, i like the wire mesh in the grille. i got some gutter mesh but im trying to figure out how i can paint the galvanized steel black without problems and cheaply without going crazy buying the stuff to prep it. honestly dude about the A/F gauge, i would personally tap into the exhaust and weld in a bung into the exhaust pipe versus tapping into the o2 sensor wires. these trucks are very touchy with that damn system, and i wouldnt screw with it at all costs.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:35 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

welcome, and nice job on the grille. fox is right about the A/F guage. you want to tap into the exhaust after the o2 sensor to get an idea on if it's working right. That way you can actually read how fast the o2 is adjusting to the conditions.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Spoolio

Hmm, We'll its one of those cheapy autometer a/f gauges anyways, i was more or less just installing it for show, Obviously I would never use any sort of A/F gauge to attempt to read any sort of accurate a/f ratio. But like i said before it was just going to be for "show", just something cool to have inside the truck.

I just had it laying around, its brandnew still, i got it for free and I wanted no part of it in my DSM, If i was doing any sort of performance upgrades right now I could always install my wideband from my talon.

And to the guy that wants to paint his mesh grille, The best way to get this done effectively, is....

1. lay out the grille you want painted
2. Spray on a bunch of carb cleaner or gumout. "any type of chemical in that range that dries fast"
3. let it all dry good
4.pick up a can of " Killz" white primer, its used as a indoor home primer it comes out pretty thick and dries in the matter of minutes, i used it on my rims from my talon awhile back, and then put on a can of glossy black, and they came out awsome, if you want pictures i can get you some to show you how it came out on my rims.

Also the killz primer sprays out nicely in a thick matter to get all those tiny bends and stuff on the grille, you can get it at most any walmart or paint store.

Any other questions about it, feel free to ask me or i/m me on hondapower238@aol.com

Old 12-21-2008, 04:17 PM
f0x672
Champion

and cool thanks for the advice on the grille inserts, i appreciate it.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Spoolio

Originally Posted by f0x672
and cool thanks for the advice on the grille inserts, i appreciate it.

No problem man, I'm more here to help then to want answers for my own problems.

Hey where at in the pocono's are you?, I'm not from around there but i used to go up to that fleamarket up in east stroudsburg like every weekend.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 PM
f0x672
Champion

Originally Posted by Spoolio
No problem man, I'm more here to help then to want answers for my own problems.

Hey where at in the pocono's are you?, I'm not from around there but i used to go up to that fleamarket up in east stroudsburg like every weekend.
ah the marshalls creek flea market. yeah im up on the plateau, off 380

Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my a/f is tapped into the o2 reads fine.

its the TAN wire on the 1/1 sensor BEFORE the cat, do not use the one after the cat.

Everyone else is talking about a wide band a/f system, these are used mainly for tuning, and way more expensive.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Spoolio

Originally Posted by User2006
my a/f is tapped into the o2 reads fine.

its the TAN wire on the 1/1 sensor BEFORE the cat, do not use the one after the cat.

Everyone else is talking about a wide band a/f system, these are used mainly for tuning, and way more expensive.

lol... Yea thats why people buy a real a/f setup, simply because its a more accurate reading, these a/f gauges that you buy from autozone, really dont tell you anything, and i would trash my truck before i would tune with one of those.

But i will install it anyways, just cause it looks cool, heh

Quick Reply: New member here!