2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 AM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least my transmission isn't unrelieable.

also, due to your exorbanent (sp?) amount of loss through your transmission, my truck is putting about the same amount of hp at the wheels as yours is. (you do have me in torque tho)

Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your the first ive herd.. that wanted to do somthing like this lol.. putting a muffler on after a muffler is just going to damper the sound even more.

single chamber = race mufflers loud and less restrictive, more raspy

duel chamber + = street use, less loud but a tad more of a deep rumble sound.

I have Mopar Pphs with a SpinTech single chamber muffler after a high flow cat. Its very raspy at any rpm and with the side exit turndowns i get faces everywhere, although i do have the 5.9 and not the 3.9.

listen to jonnymagnum on this one.

Originally Posted by big.bryant
at least my transmission isn't unrelieable.

also, due to your exorbanent (sp?) amount of loss through your transmission, my truck is putting about the same amount of hp at the wheels as yours is. (you do have me in torque tho)
sadly, your tranny is not much different then the 5.9/46rfe combo vs 4.7/45rfe, you have no bands and 2nd gear ratio is set for towing lo and high. So technically it can be called a "5 speed auto" but its not..

The 46re and the 45re both are around 80-83% efficient, which means both loss around 17-20% through the drivetrain.

the 4.7s made less hp and less tq in 2005 at 230hp/290tq

the 5.9 made 250hp/345tq

take your 20% loss from both

4.7 184rwhp/232rwtq

5.9 200rwhp/276rwtq

Yes the 4.7 is a better motor, better technology. The new 4.7 is going to be pushing i think 310hp crank. Not bad for a small *** v8...

o and if you swap out the autos with the 5 speed manual they offered with the sport versions on both trucks (but with the 5.2 instead of 5.9) you get about a 15% loss lot better then the auto, so if you took a 4.7/Manual with a 5.9/Auto would be even then, but the 5.9 with an manual...

o and on a side note, most of Chrysler's Auto Trannys are crap, your lucky to get a lemon in these standards as its rarer to find one that actually works correctly then it is to get one that ****s on itself after 10k miles lol..

Old 01-09-2009, 06:57 PM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

user, i have the 5 speed manual. from what i have heard, i am looking at between 15-17% loss, making my power numbers at the wheel go up.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by User2006
o and if you swap out the autos with the 5 speed manual they offered with the sport versions on both trucks (but with the 5.2 instead of 5.9) you get about a 15% loss lot better then the auto, so if you took a 4.7/Manual with a 5.9/Auto would be even then, but the 5.9 with an manual...
yeah this is what i meant (didn't see it the first time)

Last edited by big.bryant; 01-09-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: mufflers