2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota: Scrap It or Not To Scrap It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 AM
BInge15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dakota: Scrap It or Not To Scrap It?

Well, I had new front and rear brakes done to it over a year ago (routine things that come with wear and tear), brand new Goodyear Wrangler tires about a year ago too, the body and interior is in mint shape, however, I am really coming into some trouble now. The heating core needs to be replaced, the air compressor or core (forgot what the mechanic called it) needs to be replaced (no cool air a/c) , and I'm looking at possibly an intake valve gasket, as well as the overflow or tank for the coolant needing to be replaced. I've had a small leak for awhile now, and the mechanic (whom I actually trust and has always been more than fair), was warning me that I should get the intake fixed, as coolant may leak into the engine and cause BIG problems. He said he could patch the tank at no cost basically, and it should last. He wasn't going to charge for a new tank or new part which I thought was pretty honest of him.

I don't really want to scrap it as I've put some money into it recently, and it looks good, but I also don't really have the money for all the labor and costs for the parts.

The trans is also sluggish periodically when changing from 3rd-4th. It only happens sometimes, doesn't matter the temperature outside. He mentioned it could be a sticky valve, that an additive could take care of.

Any car enthusiasts have some advice for me? Any comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well how much are you looking at paying for the repairs and can you afford it basically

Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 PM
rpowell
Veteran

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Well how much are you looking at paying for the repairs and can you afford it basically
Also give the specs on your truck, ie engine, body stlye, mileage, etc. It may be worth the fixes or may not really only you can decide, but we could tell you what we think if there was more info.

rad over flow tank = no big deal
there is a difference between the heater core and a/c compressor and 1 costs allot more than the other to fix/replace
my biggest concern would be getting the head gasket (I think thats what ur talking about) fixed everything else you can live w/o
JMO, hope it helps.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

if its a 4.7L...and a 5speed....im very interested in the TRANSMISSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where you located?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:18 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional

Why not just disconnect the AC (if at all possible) and do without that for now. Have the intake gasket done. Then have the AC work done down the road.

Just a thought.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 AM
rpowell
Veteran

Originally Posted by ibcnul8r
Why not just disconnect the AC (if at all possible) and do without that for now. Have the intake gasket done. Then have the AC work done down the road.

Just a thought.

I agree, intake is the concern right now. everything else can be fixed later.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you live in Canada... why you need A/C? lol....

Old 01-25-2009, 04:47 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by User2006
you live in Canada... why you need A/C? lol....
still gets hot up here user... i get around 35 c in mid summer not to pleasant in a vehicle and ac is well just nice!

Old 01-25-2009, 06:19 PM
2daks
Professional

I'd fix the intake first as mentioned, get the overflow patched now too as that can be a pain adding coolant all the time. The AC can wait until summer when you need it.
If the heater core is not leaking and just plugged I would take the inlet and outlets off at the water pump and engine ends and try to blast the gunk out with a garden hose jammed in the end. That worked for me a few years back when my heat quit. I actually was replacing the water pump in the summer and remembered the heat wasn't working and thought I'd give it a try when everything was apart already. It took a couple tries and you really have to hold the hoses together once the pressure builds up. I back flushed it once it got unpugged by sticking the hose into the other open end, lots of gunk came out both times.
If I remember right it was like 600 bucks to replace the heater core back then. It involved dropping the steering column to get to it ????
I still have my 97 dak, it's in my sons care now. I bought a new 08 on December 23rd. One last option is to take advantage of the few remaining 2008's on the lots and get a great deal. I bought a V6 quad cab 4x4 sport for 21,800+ taxes and fees, 23,400 out the door, not bad on a 30-32K truck.There was a V8 for around 1500 more. I wish I had considered it with what I'm reading about how the V8 runs. The V6 is still light years ahead of the old ones on power, that V8 must scream.....

Old 01-25-2009, 08:45 PM
BInge15

I appreciate all the help fellow posters. It's a 3.9L V6, club cab, 4x2. I'm breaking down, and going to try and afford the repairs. Being my first "new" car/truck, purchased years ago, it's hard to part with. Most truck lovers would likely agree.

As for needing a/c, it's more for family members who will be in the truck with me. I think I can count the number of times on one hand that in 9 years I've used the a/c with just myself in the truck. In lower Ontario, some people might not believe how hot and humid it can get here in the dog days of summer!

Do many other people have trouble with their heat (the truck not wanting to blast out heat in the cold months?). I can't believe how long it takes to heat up!! I've had thermostats changed, almost everything imaginable, I'm hoping with the heating core, that changes.

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota: Scrap It or Not To Scrap It?