2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Head gasket or Tranny took a crap today i think.. WOOT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Head gasket or Tranny took a crap today i think.. WOOT!

Took the truck down to the car wash, washed out the engine bay while running, let it run till i was done washing the truck, took off to work and when i went out for lunch i was going to go grab a bight to eat and i noticed when i walked up to the truck it sounded a bit different (remote start) like it had a bigger cab or something in it. So i didn't think anything of it sometimes it does that when its cold.

So i get in and take off and i notice its kinda bucking in 1st and 2nd gear.. i knew something was up then, so i took it down the road to see what else would happen my check gauge light came on and it said my water temp was redline! 260+ So im like OOOO ****.. i turn the truck off.. and sit for a second and think.. wtf is going on.

I drive it back to work watching the gauge closely it never got back up to that temp... even when i restarted it.. so i was a bit confused

i got it back to work and checked where i pulled out for any coolant leaks or anything, nothing. I pull in the spot and turn the truck to "ON" not running and i noticed the water temp gauge bouncing all over the place... first thought was i shorted out the sensor when i washed the truck.. no biggy i go down and replace it tomorrow.

I head home after work and smoke is POURING out the backend while driving... i didn't notice it since it was night time, i thought it was just fog in my rear view mirror.. when i got close to my house a truck got on my *** and i noticed the smoke from his taillights.. again im saying o **** to myself. I pull in my drive way and look under the truck a little bit of smoke was coming from the engine bay.. it is night and i didn't get a good look, it smelt like burnt oil..

at idle the Temp was fine it never overheated again??? So i park it pop the hood and smoke is coming out of the hood before i opened it, not alot just a little. I popped the hood looked in it and didn't see anything, but it was dark and i really couldn't see anything.

I also noticed a surge in my 1st to 2nd shift, i was slowing down and it seemed like it dropped from 3rd to 1st or something and revved real high... it shifted back to normal and it never did it again.

Could it be my tranny took a ****? Head gasket? What do you guys think?

Im going to look at it more tomorrow before work.. i might be driving my moms car, of course this happens right before my date on Saturday grrr... but maybe this will be an opportunity to finally get my built tranny or worked heads... who knows, sucks cuz i just dropped 500+ on some new seats day before this happened.. blah!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im thinking the head gasket dude. smell your exhaust. sweet, you know whats up. blue smoke.. same story. didnt you say you had previous tranny problems? could be something different as well. let us know what you see tomorrow. good luck buddy.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 AM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by f0x672
im thinking the head gasket dude. smell your exhaust. sweet, you know whats up. blue smoke.. same story. didnt you say you had previous tranny problems? could be something different as well. let us know what you see tomorrow. good luck buddy.
Yeah since it was night, i couldn't really see the color of the smoke, tomorrow ill figure it out. If its a blow head gasket, ill be happy, gives me an excuse to get some new heads while i have it all torn apart... or have my stock ones checked and cleaned, i knew this was going to happen sooner or later, 112k on stock heads, just glad it didn't happen while i was using the n2o.

The tranny has always been all crappy.. its a dodge 46re... i dont expect much from it. lol.

My first guess was head gasket, that would make my water temp act crazy, and smoke come out.

Tomorrow i shall find out, hopefully i can get it fixed by this weekend (doubt it)

Old 02-10-2009, 04:56 AM
varsis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by User2006
Yeah since it was night, i couldn't really see the color of the smoke, tomorrow ill figure it out. If its a blow head gasket, ill be happy, gives me an excuse to get some new heads while i have it all torn apart... or have my stock ones checked and cleaned, i knew this was going to happen sooner or later, 112k on stock heads, just glad it didn't happen while i was using the n2o.

The tranny has always been all crappy.. its a dodge 46re... i dont expect much from it. lol.

My first guess was head gasket, that would make my water temp act crazy, and smoke come out.

Tomorrow i shall find out, hopefully i can get it fixed by this weekend (doubt it)
sounds like a head gasket. And yes it could do the abnormal changes. My guess is the gasket isn't completely bad yet and sealed up a little once heated. Check your oil for water / coolant for oil.

I don't see your tranny causing your exhaust to smoke, it's completely separate from the motor. And if it was it probably was a bad cooler leaking into the tranny therefore getting coolant in it, but still not causing smoke.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Thats weird, its like you have 2 different problems. The overheating and smoke sounds to me like a head gasket as well, but I'm not sure why they would effect the tranny. Maybe when you washed it the water hit the heads and maybe the cold water mixted with the hot heads made something warp. Im pretty sure you not suppose to clean the engine if its hot, especially while its running, but Im not positive thats why it happened.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 AM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

i would say to take samples of your oil and coolant and check for contamination. also, you going to run the juice on stick pistons and rings?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:21 AM
matj1990
Veteran

yea never clean an engine while its hot only warm cover your alternator battery and sencitive elec when u do it

Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

do a compression check, i bet you blew one head gasket or cracked a head when you washed the engine with cool water while the engine was hot.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:29 PM
DaK0ta

i did the same thing with my 89 z24, blew a headgasket. i ended up junking it for a crown vic

Old 02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
User
Champion

Turned out to not be head gasket, as far as i know. The smoke was not coming from my exhuast, but burning off my exhaust... it was Tranny fluid.. here are some pics..

Oil was not milky, coolant lvl was fine, tranny fluid was low, and thats why.

Looks like i just need to pull the tranny and replace that gasket... from what it looks like, but who knows? lol.

Quick Reply: Head gasket or Tranny took a crap today i think.. WOOT!