2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

porting a TB

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default porting a TB

well i bought me a used V8 TB off of another forum with all new gaskets for 40 bucks. i wanted to experiment with porting my own stuff so i figured i would work on this one in case i botched the job. anyway, some things i learned along the way: use a bench grinder for as much of the work as possible, use safety goggles, a good set of gloves help as he TB heats up pretty well on the grinder, get some good dremmel bits, have a good measure to make sure everything is symmetrical, light the project from the side to see raised and lowered pieces when trying to get it flush, don't use an iPhone to take pics because it's camera sucks.

this is what i started with:
tb1.jpg

after the bench grinding:
tb2.jpg

opened up the tops to 51mm. get a nice accurate slide measure and keep checking that all around it is the same measure. this was by far the most time consuming part of the whole project.
tb3.jpg

almost done:
tb4.jpg

all done and polished up on the wire wheel.
tb5.jpg

like i said, making sure its all uniform and the same measure all around is the worst part. its very time consuming. you will burn through a few dremmel bits (i used 4) just because i used different ones for different parts of the job. after your done blow it clean with compressed air thoroughly. then just for kicks i cleaned it out real good with some brake clean. i haven't installed it yet, i probably will thursday when i get some free time. i will let you know what the butt dyno tells me. as for now, im focking tired, peace out.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey rtdakota01 can i ask u a question? i see u have a msd blaster did u notice a diff after replasing ure stock? can i do just this mod to my ignition system only? thnks in advance
good job btw on the tb

Last edited by Erik Kuijvenhoven; 02-16-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 168 Likes on 154 Posts

What's the stock diameter?

ignore my ignorance, as I haven't looked at the TB or intake, but why do the ears have to come off, and can you just bore the openings out with the bench grinder?

Also, can the stock V6 one be bench-bored, or is there not enough material?

And would there be any significant issues with boring the entire tunnels out, as the butterflies would no longer seal to the chamber? I would think boring just the manifold side would still have the tunnels as restrictors to the airflow.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 AM
f0x672
Champion

Originally Posted by magnethead
What's the stock diameter?

ignore my ignorance, as I haven't looked at the TB or intake, but why do the ears have to come off, and can you just bore the openings out with the bench grinder?

Also, can the stock V6 one be bench-bored, or is there not enough material?

And would there be any significant issues with boring the entire tunnels out, as the butterflies would no longer seal to the chamber? I would think boring just the manifold side would still have the tunnels as restrictors to the airflow.
for your first question, removing those tabs prevents less turbulence in the intake system.

v6 throttle body is the same as a v8 throttle body. the intake tunnels where the butterflies reside are under bored for the v6. boring out the tunnels bigger than the butterflies will cause a surge in rpms, so im told. just slap a v8 tb on a v6, and do r/ts mod up above and that will be your best benefit on a v6. then you have to dig into the manifold, then to the heads, than the exhaust. no more low end torque thats for sure. i would only go all out (port and polishing the heads, bigger headers, kegger mod to the intake manifold, etc) if i were going to be unique with a turboed v6.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

pardon my stupidity but keg mod? I have heard this mentioned on DF a few times and Im curious what it is and what the pros/cons are. I know I have probably raped my kota of what little low end it had with what Ive done to it so far but it needs help on the motorway lol

Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
f0x672
Champion

motorway, what are you, british? haha. from my understanding the kegger mod (looking at the pictures of one of the members here on the forum) its pretty much cutting out a divider plate inside the intake manifold, and smoothing up and rough or bumpy spots inside of it.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

keggar mod refers to porting/shortening the runners on a stock intake manifold. i have had a ported/shortened intake for a while now, still haven't put it on..... waiting on nice weather....

Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
f0x672
Champion

Originally Posted by rtdakota2001
keggar mod refers to porting/shortening the runners on a stock intake manifold. i have had a ported/shortened intake for a while now, still haven't put it on..... waiting on nice weather....
eh i was close enough to describing it.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

lol no Im not british BUT I am watching Top Gear and they are british

Is there a DIY or a walkthrough or something I can look over for the keg mod? Im going to start going back to the junkyard (to spite the winter) soon and I plan on going often for bimmer and dodge parts!! That means more trips to the rents for car projects!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
rtdakota2001
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Erik Kuijvenhoven
hey rtdakota01 can i ask u a question? i see u have a msd blaster did u notice a diff after replasing ure stock? can i do just this mod to my ignition system only? thnks in advance
good job btw on the tb
yeah it definitely smoothed out the idle some, maybe a bit more throttle response, but that could be my mind playing tricks on itself. my MPG went up .1 so idk if that was coincidence or not. i have the 'power tower' oil filled one, i got it on ebay. good luck.

Quick Reply: porting a TB