2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My SCCA RoadRally race

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats pretty awesome dude, but im more for a cannonball run though.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

why do you need a navigator? It sounds alot like when the old lady and I went through Pittsburgh a couple years ago. Her "navigating" was just saying things like "ummmmmm, i think we're supposed to turn here... wait.. no.. wait... yea im pretty sure... oh **** you just passed it anyway... now we're lost and we'll never find it, you shouldve listened to me"

why not just use a GPS?

Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by wink2873
why do you need a navigator? It sounds alot like when the old lady and I went through Pittsburgh a couple years ago. Her "navigating" was just saying things like "ummmmmm, i think we're supposed to turn here... wait.. no.. wait... yea im pretty sure... oh **** you just passed it anyway... now we're lost and we'll never find it, you shouldve listened to me"

why not just use a GPS?
GPS = Not allowed

laptop = not allowed

atlas = that's ALL that's allowed

plus, they dont give you addresses. They only tell you some of the roads you're required to run (i.e. if there's a checkpoint on that road). Then the roads they dont give you, you infer from the atlas (they make sure there's only one "good" route) and you answer a series of questions about signs/markers/billboards/ect along the route.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm..... good idea, hell its pretty much the same as being in gumball or bullrun but just not wit the cool cars and people doing stupid **** that you see in the two former rallies...

Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by big.bryant
hmmm..... good idea, hell its pretty much the same as being in gumball or bullrun but just not wit the cool cars and people doing stupid **** that you see in the two former rallies...
pretty much. If i had a dollar for every time somebody said bullrun for the 2 hours before the race started, it woulda paid the fuel bill for the day.

but yea, pretty close to bull run. just minus the challenges, minus the paycheck, plus 55 or 60 questions over items along the route.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
big.bryant
Champion

so my question is: what is the fun if everyone has to follow the same route and do the speedlimit?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
magnethead
Legend

so my question is: what is the fun if everyone has to follow the same route and do the speedlimit?
hey, that's just legal crap. The mazda and I were just having fun for a good while- offroading, hitting 95+MPH, attacking the curvy roads (moreso him than me)

the fun is maping the routes, getting more questions right than your competitors (which requires attentiveness), going through the countryside/sightseeing, knowing you're pretty much lost if it werent for the atlas, and STILL fighting for position around the other cars. But alot of it is the sightseeing while going between citiies.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

i did a similar thing one time, except it was hauling a semi trailer full of nabisco crackers from chicago to altoona PA in freightliner with a good friend of mine. We went from norwalk ohio, to chicago to pick up the load, then traveled all the way to PA to drop off the load, then back to norwalk ohio.... without any sleep. stopping only to eat and ****. pissing was taken care of on the side of the road. it took like 24 hours.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
big.bryant
Champion

how many miles/how long are these roadrallys? i could be interested in doing something like this...

Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
magnethead
Legend

how many miles/how long are these roadrallys? i could be interested in doing something like this...
this was 180 miles. Not sure what avg was.

I'd say contact your local SCCA division for info. gotta be willing to pay for pretty much 2 tanks of burned gas depending where the start is, plus have a navigator, and some other details. :/

Still dunno if i'll run another. Thinking i'll save the money, too much of a brain challenge for me...

Quick Reply: My SCCA RoadRally race