2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

My SCCA RoadRally race

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts
Default My SCCA RoadRally race

What a race. It was fun right till we had to make out own route- They gave us road numbers, that we had to match to the physical names on the street signs. After 2 or 3 stops for directions, all 3 had no clue what some of the roads were, they only knew the names.

We ran the firt 1/3 blazing our own trail, then a mazda MX-5 showed up, so we teamed with them for problem solving.

Started 11th, was 4th at the checkpoint, think we finished 6th.

1. Start north of university park
2. drive to waxahachie
3. Folow waxahachie historic homes tour
4. Pass Southwestern Assemblies God University
5. go to park behind the big medical center

6. proceed to Forreston, a couple detours, then out to Italy.

7. Checkpoint at the Dome housing complex

8. Out to Files Valley, and into Grandview.

9. Pass Johnson County Courthouse

10. Enter cleburne, then proceed to Godley

11. Start customn route from Godley, through Acton, to Granbury, finishing at Mi Familia Restaurant, using the following roads, in order:

North 171
West 1128
South 1233
North 1570
East 4
West 1131
South Fall Creek Hwy
North 308
North 167
West 501
North 412
South 533
South 51

-------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9CbVTJQLgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woKleURain4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCh8-3arPQ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSe0ifIvShw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFIWgs1HqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rx64ihsffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSYzCdMOQjw

All roughly 2-3 minute clips.

Woke up at 6:30, picked up my navigator at his dorm, and got to the Mapsco at 7:30. Went to sonic, got back, ate then went instead once the owner got there. The race director showed around 8:45, We got our packets, turns out the packets had our routes, but weren't supposed to. So they let us keep them and map our routes, but told us normally we wouldn't have them until we left the gate.

Was entry 11, so left gates at 10:11 AM. There were 28 entries.

I actually didn't know i was recording the second one. I wanted to start recording, but didn't know it already was, so i didn't catch the fun part. The road flattened out like you'd see in the desert (and we were the only ones on the road), so i got up to 70 behind the mazda, and pulled to pass. Pretty much, it ended with me going 95MPH and they said they were doing 105 trying to catch up with me after i left em in my dust.

Then later on, we both missed a Y curve (completely wasn't looking). So we took the first road that would link us across- It was the mazda, us, then a mini cooper. The mazda couple made a hard left into the road, turns out was a cemetary. I pull an almost drift move to follow them (i hadn't looked at the paper to figure out where we were), the Mini sits there like "WTF just happened" and continue on their waay, the wrong way.

We get to the backside of the cemetary- it doesn't link up to the road we want, had a 20 foot wide patch of grass. Jeremy told me where we were as we went through the cemetary and I made the connection of the missed Y. So as they tip toed the grass around the ditch, I just went for broke and did a diagonal wheel stand onto the road out of the ditch and passed them.

Then we got to the water crossings on (i think) 1570 going south, and I'll let the video explain the fun I had there. Nothing like a short patch of soaked pavement.

Finished the race about an hour early, at 3:15. Not sure what place we were in- believe 5th or 6th, they never said. But weren't many people there till after we arrived.

Left the restaurant after a short dinner and ALOT of talking with the mazda, mini, and mustang guys (and girls) at 4:30 and got to the dorms at 6 PM.

The two in the red mustang were a guy and his teenage daughter (cute too), then the silver miata we followed were a girl (nav) and her guy friend (driving), and a red miata was her boyfriend and his dad. Also had a 60's classic i couldn't identify in the most blinding shade of green, a red durango, a silver/black mini, a red mini, yellow corvette, orange corvette, yellow subaru...I don't even remmeber them all. Was real fun though. Will probably run more. One of the guys had his MAYBE 14 yr old daughter for a navigator.

And somewhere in there, we hit a curvy section of road. The mazda took off, and I tried to keep up- nearly cost me a truck. I took a right turn too fast, and the truck went understeer then snapped loose on me, back end hung out. Left rear hit gravel from a road that was merging, pretty much did a complete slide/drift, and the left rear fell a foot coming off the road, over the culvert, then back to road. Scared daylights outa me. But didn't damage the axle that I could see/feel.

Next race for me is March 14th, an autocross driving school at Pennington Field in Bedford, then the 15th, autocross event 1 at same complex. Next rally is April 4th.

I'll post official results when we get them.

Quotes of the race:

Silver Miata driver: "I've been waiting for roads like that all damn day!" (the curvy roads i fought to keep up on)

Jeremy (My navigator): "I feel like Nicky Grist."

Silver miata navigator: "Uh, yea, we're lost. We're gonna stop at the next gas station- I gotta pee and we need some damn directions."

Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, you gonna have to start getting that truck set up for roadrally though...lol

Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by batman13
cool, you gonna have to start getting that truck set up for roadrally though...lol
I'm running auto cross as well, for SCCA.

And the onboard camera mount doesn't move, quite obviously. so i'll have the onboards for AX, as well.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 AM
magnethead
Legend

Dear Roads of Texas Rally entrant,

Here are the preliminary results I promised you. With the exception of a couple of you that left before you got your score, these are the same numbers that you saw in Granbury.

I will be going over the scoring carefully in the next few days. In trying to get the scores out quickly, we sometimes make small errors. I'll fix any of those that I find, and send you the final results.

You will notice that I have very few car club names listed. It's not because we are snobby, but because you didn't list any on your entry form. If you belong to a club, please let me know. If you are not paying dues to anyone, but are a regular contributor to a forum, just give me the forum name, and I'll count you the same as a club member.

There were four rallymasters involved in Saturday's event. One of them chided me for not introducing them at the awards ceremony. (Sorry, guys.) They are Joe Lumbley (Waxahachie to Files Valley), Mark Kirby (Itasca to Railroad), and Bob Benson (171 to Mi Familia). I created the instruction that got you from the start to Waxahachie, but you were the rallymaster on that part!

The next time you are in the Mapsco store, tell someone that you appreciate Mapsco's support of the SCCA rally program.

Sasha Lanz
Texas Region SCCA rally chairman

-------------

results:

29 cars started

19 received on-time scores
7 received late-time scores
3 received no scores

unfortunately, Jeremy and I received no score. However, we started 11th, were 4th to the checkpoint, and finished 6th. The questions likely caused the no score.

----------------------------

Finishing order:

On Time:
1. Jacob Myhre/Craig Morris Honda Civic
2. Clif Palmberg/Louis Plumley Subaru Legacy GT-B
3. James Koffemam/Ed Koffemann Mazda RX-8
4. Bob Harris/Adam Harris Nissan Vista
5. Chris Strong/Jamie Strong Volvo 242
6. Andrew Winrow/Glenn Fothergill Pontiac GTO
7. Brent Elliott/Bonnie Elliott GMC Denali
8. Raymond Patterson/David Patterson MazdaSpeed 3
9. Jerry Webber/Ken Dumas BMW M5
10. Shawn Rizzo/Alicia Rizzo Subaru WRX
11. Steve Peterson/Justin Iikenhans Mini Cooper S
12. Staurt Lumpkin/Helen Lumpkin Volvo 122 S
13. Karin Anderson/Kristine Hughes Saturn Vue
14. Rachael Boesche/Tim Boesche MazdaSpeed Miata
15. Brad Murray/Michael Murray Jaguar S-Type
16. AJ Paulson/Darius Keel MazdaSpeed Miata
17. Jon Marshall/Teri Marshall Subaru WRX
18. Tom Minella/Barbara Minella Porsche TT
19. Mike Smith/Amy Smith Dodge Durango

---

Late (no finishing order given):

X. Rebecca Plumley/Deborah Murray Chrysler PT Cruiser
X. James White/Aimee White Mini Cooper
X. Francis Brown/Kimberly Brown Audi TT
X. CW Koellmann/Laura Koellman Truimph TR4
X. JD Tippit/Brian Kelly Ford Mustang
X. James Padron/Anneka Booker Accura Integra
X. Debra Shore/Jeff Shore Ford Mustang

---

No Score (no finishing order given):

DNS. Doug Covington/Zona Covington Mazda Miata
DNF. Robert Case Jr./Vivian Case Mini Cooper S Coupe
XX. Steve McDermott/Jeremy Schack Dodge Dakota

Last edited by magnethead; 03-02-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:36 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i may be stupid or something but could someone explain this racing to me? ive never heard of it and the couple videos i watched looked like someone just driving around in the street.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by wink2873
ok i may be stupid or something but could someone explain this racing to me? ive never heard of it and the couple videos i watched looked like someone just driving around in the street.
http://www.texasscca.org/gimmick_rally.html

http://scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=48

A RoadRally is traversed over public roads within the legal speed limit. The challenge is to drive on time, arriving at points along the route neither early nor late (it's NOT a race). Each team needs a simple watch which can be synchronized to match official time, as well as something to write on and with. Interior lighting (map lights, a flashlight, etc) is also a good idea for night rallies.

------

This one was slightly different. We didn't have any time zones, so we had to answer questions about the route instead.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 AM
usmrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you didnt finish?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker

so basically, its a group of people that are going to the same place while abiding traffic laws..... sounds not very exciting.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:18 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

From what I've read on the SCCA site they calculate how much time it should take for each leg and you are supposed to take that amount of time, they penalize you for being early or late.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:47 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by wink2873
so basically, its a group of people that are going to the same place while abiding traffic laws..... sounds not very exciting.
haha yeah it kinda sounds like the biggest challenge is just finding where to go.

Quick Reply: My SCCA RoadRally race