2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help

I know this is a dakota forum in all but I have a mechanically realted question about my girl friends G20. The infiniti forum has like 12 threads all together and don't think I would get an awnser, anyway...

The other night the head light got left on and the battery died. So I hooked up some jumper cables from my dak to her car. It cranked over a little then did that ticking it does when the battery is dead. So we waited a few minutes to let it charge up a little bit. Then i went and turned the key and nothing... nothing at all. No crank, no ticking, no nothing. The weird part was is everything else was starting to get power. We left the jumper cables on a few minutes and I noticed that the head lights worked again so did the radio and everything. So it is like its getting the charge... but I don't know what is happening to make it not turn over, not even a click click click. Please any help would be appreicaited. I know this is a dakota forum and ordinarly I wouldn't do this but I need some help, I can't figure it out

Thanks a ton to anyway that can offer some help!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:31 PM
f0x672
Champion

well make sure the battery is ok first, check voltage, etc. hope you didnt create a flat spot in the starter.. not gooooood

Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
bpark8824
Champion

I have power because at first the power door locks didn't work or anything and now it all does. But it sounds like the starter is spinning but not engaging or something. I don't know how this would happen just for the battery going dead and the jump starting it...

Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM
big.bryant
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery could need replacing... i worked for a car dealership and if something like this happend, we would either let it charge up (the G20) for about 10 mins or so and if that didn't work, than we would just have to replace the battary... however, you should still be able to get some clicking/turning over and once you do, make sure to run the car for about an hour (at idle) or less if you go drive it around, maybe you are going to need two vehicles, both with cables attached to the G20 in order to get enough power to it...

also, when letting it charge, don't have the radio or lights or anything else that uses power on, as this is just wasting power that could otherwise charge up the battery...

Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM
bpark8824
Champion

See the battery isn't bad. First off its only 6 months old, plus nothing worked at first and after letting charge for a little bit, now the lights, radior, power locks and what not all work. This tells me that the battery has some juice and its getting a charge. Plus if it were dead it would click or something, it just does nothing. All I can hear is the starter spinning, but its like its no engaging in order to crank over the engine...

Is there a way to tell if the starter is dead or not? I might ask the auto tech dept here at school to take a look at on Monday if I can't figure out what is wrong before than.

I appologize again for this not being dodge related at all, but I just need some help and didn't know where else to go. The g20 is not a car you see all the time so theres not a lot of forums for it.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 PM
big.bryant
Champion

dude don't worry about it not being dodge related... is a battery issue and every car has a battery... ya it sounds like the starter is messed up on it... had the starter ever given her trouble before?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 PM
wink2873
Record Breaker

try giving your truck some gas at the same time have her try to start the car. let it rev at about 2500 rpm's, you'll get more juice through to her car that way. i know it sounds stupid but it helps. if that doesnt work then i'd replace the battery. if that doesnt work then i'd field test the starter. take it off and wire it directly to the battery. it should try to jump out of your hand if its working ok.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 PM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah just do what wink said.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:03 PM
bpark8824
Champion

the battery is only 6 months old. I tried before keeping it at about 2k and sat there for a minute. Its not the battery or I wouldn't have any headlights or power windows or anything. Usually when the battery is dead you get that click click click click, but i don't even get that which means it isn't even try to turn over. Im guessing that it is the starter... The car has 180k on it so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising. The car has been awesome to her and other than normal brakes, a battery, and oil changes, the car hasn't needed a thing. I just feel bad because I was the retard that left the lights on the other night.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package

its the starter......when i was leaving work on day i stopped to jump start an older woman and she was about as smart with cars as a 15 year old girl on car motors.... so i used my jump cables adn everythign turned on and workeed fine...but the car wouldnt turn over....come to find out the starter went out and completely fried...thats what im guessing happend to your gfs car