2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 AM
stewartj1998
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving lights

i have a 97 dakota sport, when i bought it the driving lights wouldnot come on, replaced the switch and still nothing, checked fuse (in dash) it was fine, looked under hood and the fuse block for driving lights was gone, replaced it and lights came on , but they stay on all the time, truck running or not, lights on or off, have to pull out fuse block to shut them off! any suggestions? (green light on driving light switch doesnt come on either) thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm assuming you're talking about the Fog's (which legally aren't to be used as driving lights, but f*** that law). My first guess would be an internally shorted (or manually by-passed) switch, second would be an improper re-wire hackjob.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

you know that's funny. When I bought my Dak, the fog light relay was missing as well. Although I don't have the same problem as you do.

Did you buy a brand new Relay or did you use an old one? You may have a bad relay. Or like magnethead said, something is supplying power at all times through the relay by-passing the switch. You said you replaced the switch. It Could be faulty. Try putting the old one back in.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 AM
stewartj1998

Originally Posted by magnethead
I'm assuming you're talking about the Fog's (which legally aren't to be used as driving lights, but f*** that law). My first guess would be an internally shorted (or manually by-passed) switch, second would be an improper re-wire hackjob.
yeah fog lights, im leaning toward the hack job

Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 AM
stewartj1998

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
you know that's funny. When I bought my Dak, the fog light relay was missing as well. Although I don't have the same problem as you do.

Did you buy a brand new Relay or did you use an old one? You may have a bad relay. Or like magnethead said, something is supplying power at all times through the relay by-passing the switch. You said you replaced the switch. It Could be faulty. Try putting the old one back in.
yes new relay, new switch also, did not try putting the old one back in, will try that,

Quick Reply: driving lights