2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Old Dirt bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:40 PM
ccrunner
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Dirt bike

Wasn't sure which part of the forum to put this in (maybe OT?) so I'll just ask you guys. I have a 10 year old dirt bike, it's a little 125cc. I can't get it to stay running. If I spray the carb with b-12 cleaner the bike will start up after a few kicks. But no matter how much throttle I give it, it won't run for more than 5 seconds. Any suggestions?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:42 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of bike? I raced motocross from when I was 12-19. Best sport in the world hands down. But thats all going to go down the drain with the new lead ban....

As for your problem make sure all the jets are cleaned out and give the whole carb a good cleaning. Make sure it has good gas. Old gas can clog a carb and make it hard to start. Check the plug it may be fouled as well.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
ccrunner
Veteran

It's a yamaha. The spark plug has really close spacing and the tip doesn't quite line up. So I should take off the carb and clean all the parts?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 PM
bpark8824
Champion

It can only help. 2 strokes are a piece of cake. Its either the carb or the head. If you have a bad head gasket and air is getting in it will also make it not run. But I would start with the cleaning the carb and the jets first and go from there.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM
ccrunner
Veteran

I took apart the carb as much as I could and sprayed a lot of cleaner on it. The "bowl" on the bottom of it was filthy inside, and dry, don't know if it should be or not? Put it back on and it didn't seem to help.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Did you clean the jets? Try cleaning the jets, new gas, and a new plug. If she doesn't fire, it may be the head gasket. Which unlike in vehicles, is cake to change.

Also try pouring a little gas in where the spark plug goes. If it runs for a bit, basically until that runs out that can tell you its somewhere in the carb/gas.

If after all that fails, you will have to look at your rings and piston. The nice thing is this is all real easy and cheap on a 2 stroke. Once all motocross bikes changed over to 4 strokes the sport got too expensive between the fact that parts were 2x as much and 2x as much mateince is needed.

Last edited by bpark8824; 03-23-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 PM
ccrunner
Veteran

How do I clean the jets? Sorry, don't know much about carbs.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 AM
jar1zx

check the pitcock.....hum i sure hope i spelled that right....thing under the gas tank that turns fuel on and off and resever. and check fuel filter if the bike has one

o and if the bike satup for say over a year or 2 with gas n it. you have to replace all lines clean out pitcock vaule and clean out the carb. jets in all.

Last edited by jar1zx; 03-24-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Well first look at the main jet, the one right in the bowl. Just losen it up and take it out and if you can't see through the hole its clogged. But blow it out and spray with carb cleaner.

And like jar said, obviously make sure the gas is turned on.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
GaryC
Rookie

Originally Posted by ccrunner
I took apart the carb as much as I could and sprayed a lot of cleaner on it. The "bowl" on the bottom of it was filthy inside, and dry, don't know if it should be or not? Put it back on and it didn't seem to help.
If the bowl is dry, you are not getting fuel to it, work upstream to find out why. pull the fuel line off the petcock and turn it on, do you have fuel? put it back on and pull the line off the carb, do you have fuel now? put it back on. remove the float bowl drain plug and turn on the petcock, Agian, FUel present? if not, the float pin is stuck. Most likely the float is stuck because it sat so long. Take the carb apart and remove the main jet and pilot jets and clean them out. If your bike is a YZ125, it probably has reed valve induction.
Go to the Yamaha website and get help there. You do not have an issue with head gasket or rings if it starts, they may very well need to be replaced, but if it starts on a spray, thats not your imediate problem.

Quick Reply: Old Dirt bike