2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering Column Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 PM
mdknaebel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Column Rattle

Hey I've got a 02 Dakota QuadCab 4.7L. When I hit a large enough bump (not very large, like a small pot hole, for example), I hear, and kind of feel a rattle, almost a soft banging, or knocking in the steering column area. If I'm on a bumpy dirt road, there is almost a constant knocking noise and sounds kind of bad, enough to make me slow down. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM
klings designs
Captain

Originally Posted by mdknaebel
Hey I've got a 02 Dakota QuadCab 4.7L. When I hit a large enough bump (not very large, like a small pot hole, for example), I hear, and kind of feel a rattle, almost a soft banging, or knocking in the steering column area. If I'm on a bumpy dirt road, there is almost a constant knocking noise and sounds kind of bad, enough to make me slow down. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!
Anyone.. i know there was somehting somone posted about tightening somehting under the dashboard... Mine does this all the time just wondering if someone can help me out.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

could this be part of the recall that was issued on our trucks a while ago for the steering column, im not sure just throwing it in there

Old 08-20-2009, 04:39 PM
klings designs
Captain

Originally Posted by Josh Abels
could this be part of the recall that was issued on our trucks a while ago for the steering column, im not sure just throwing it in there
I drive an 04

Old 08-20-2009, 04:54 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that recall was for the gear selector detent. I don't really know what the problem would be other than mounting bolts or something inside the column cover. It comes off fairly easy so if the column bolts are tight I'd be looking in there. Or then again maybe it's your keyfob!

Old 08-20-2009, 09:10 PM
project99
Rookie

I have the same knock but havent investigated it yet. Keep me posted,

Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 AM
heavyjay

Originally Posted by klings designs
Anyone.. i know there was somehting somone posted about tightening somehting under the dashboard... Mine does this all the time just wondering if someone can help me out.
Here's the link to the TSB and adjustment procedure. This TSB came out in 1999, so I don't know if it addresses what is causing your issue. The book time on it is 12 minutes, so even if it takes you a half hour you have nothing to lose by trying.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1g/bl669g.htm?p=1

Quick Reply: Steering Column Rattle