2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

driving lights price

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:51 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default driving lights price

a local shop wants to charge me 55 buck and hour for installation of some piaa's. He said it would take about 3 hours, is this accurate? and how hard are they really to install, i feel like I am getting suckerd.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:15 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you installing the lights?

3 hours my ***. Driving lights are easy. Do you have any mechanical knowledge at all?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

The hardest part of installing any lights are hiding the wires, but that still isn't very hard.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:26 PM
thunder98110
Champion

just on the front bumper, infront of the grill. i would need to drill into it. I have some skills, just did the plugs. but not much wiring.

thanks for the quick response.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my bull bar lights...I used the positive wire from the original fog lights, and just ran a switch up to the dashboard. I mean all it really is is grounding the lights...hooking up the hot wire, and running the hot wire to a switch.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:48 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Yeah Man ... What He^^ Said...

Super easy. I'll draw up something real quick on Paint to show you.

Drilling into the bumper isn't hard. The bumper isn't as thick as you think it is.

Here's an easy diagram. Mount your lights wherever you want them. The lighter color wire is always positive, and the darker color is always negative. They will either be red and black or white and black. That what aftermarket fog's are usually colored with. Connect the positive from both fog lights to each other and run a positive wire to a switch in the cab. The positive wire from the switch then goes to the battery. Then connect both negative wires from the fog lights and run a ground wire to any bolt or something on the body or frame. You want to ground it to the frame/body area, not the battery. The fogs you bought should have come with a fuse in the positive wire. Make sure you use that fuse.

One more thing. While your wiring everything up, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery. Don't need you shocken yourself to high heaven.

here's a simple pic.

Hope that helps. if I need to explain it further, just let me know.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 04-17-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
thunder98110
Champion

ok thanks alot for that, it looks like i will beable to save some money doing it myself. but last 2 questions, how do i get the switch into the cab, and is front bumper best place to mount? the plasic seems hard enough. i dont want to buy a bull guard, so any sugestions would be great.

thanks again for all the help!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did it painlessly...I just ran the wires up through the inner fender and ran it up to the cab and just stuck it in the little rubber piece on the cab frame right in front of the kick panel (just a little rubber piece that plugs the hole...for extra wiring) just gotta make sure you punch a hole in it first...and then after that just remove the kick panel, pull out the wire and run it through the dashboard. I just drilled a small hole in the black cover and just ran it to there. Oh yea and make sure you use them tube casings to protect the wires.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Front bumper is the best place to mount them, but why not mount them on the top f your bumper? Directly in front of the grill? That's all metal there. besides, you'll still have ground clearance... Or did you want to mount them in the factory holes?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:28 AM
thunder98110
Champion

yea thats what i wanted, in front of the grill, these are driving lights not fogs, i will keep the factory fogs.

Quick Reply: driving lights price