2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Gauge Cluster Freaking Out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:16 PM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Freaking Out!!!

OK I have a 2002 QC with the 4.7L. My gauge cluster has been on the fritz lately. Sometimes the speedo won't work. This is weird since it only seems to happen when I park in a certain parking lot but anyway. Turn the truck on and go down the road and I notice the speedo has no readout. Stop put the truck in park and shut off. Start back up and it works as if nothing happened.

Yesterday in this same parking lot the speedo worked fine on the initial start up but my gas gauge had no read out. Stop truck put in park shut off and restart. No problems then.

This parking lot I speak of is actually a Police department so I am thinking possibly some interference with the powerful radios seeing as it only seems to happen in this parking lot. I dunno.

Today. Head out to grab dinner(Pizza if it makes a difference) start truck and speedo is bouncing from 85 to 120. Shut off engine. Speedo pegs at 120. I put it in gear and I start down the road then all of a sudden it drops down to the correct speed. This was at my house and the only interference that I know of is my cell phone.

Anyone have a similar issue. Where would I start to look for the problem if there is one. Am I looking at the possibility of the need for a new computer or just a gauge cluster or both? Or is it the sensors? No problems with the Tach, volts, temp or oil pressure as of yet.

Any Ideas???

Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

sounds like a bad gauge cluster, plus those are cheaper
whats yours look like? i have an extra one

Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie

Mine has

Volts Oil Pressure
Tach Speedo
Temp Fuel Level

In those positions. I do have a U pull it parts place with in 30 mins of my place. The only other thing I am thinking that could have an effect is that the rear end was completely replaced about 6 months ago(housing, gears and Diff). Isn't there a speed sensor in there?

Or maybe I got something too wet when I rinsed out my frame with the hose about a month ago to get rid of the salt.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie

Hmm.....Today started out fine. Then On my way home from a friends house I had a Service 4wd light. I flipped into 4 hi and right back into 2wd. Shut the truck off a few miles later went into the store and came out. Started the truck. No more service 4wd light.

Do some work around the house go out no problems come back do some more work. Go to head out and now it seems the cluster or computer has really bit the dust. None of the gauges work except the Odometer. The cruise control light, check gauges light, Seat belt light blinks although my seat belt is fastened and fuel light is on although I have a half tank. I tried the keydance while holding the Trip button and In the odometer display I get the codes 110 and 999.

I called the dealer and have an appointment for thursday but I am not sure how I am going to drive with out any gauges until then.

Fun stuff...........Maybe it is time to trade it in or buy a newer daily driver.

I will report back when I hear from the dealer.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:21 PM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie

Well the dealer says I need a new cluster to the tune of $800. Lucky for my extended warranty I should only have to pay $100 deductible. Now the bad news if that wasn't bad enough. Apparently since the whole Chrysler bankruptcy vendors are not shipping parts like they used to due to nonpayment. Gauge clusters also have no "in-stock time" So the dealer will not know when my new cluster will be received until it is received. Also apparently these clusters need to be programmed by the factory with mileage and possibly VIN so my truck could be down for anywhere from 3 days to several months.

Is there any other way or can anything else go wrong with this truck.

Bought it used 8/06 with 37K miles for 16000. CD player died almost immediately. Replaced by the dealer for free with a "new" radio. Which subsequently died within 6 months again and I think still has a CD in it. Not worth it to fix at least to me, Radio works fine. The 2 rear stabilizer bars needed to be replaced 7/07. The rear end went 10/08 to the tune of $3800 also covered by warranty. Lower driver ball joint and 2 outer tie rod ends replaced 3/09. Now the gauge cluster has been on the fritz since 4/09 and if I bring it in on Monday 7/6/09 I may not have it back until Sept. or later. Anyway I am glad I got the Chevy Extended warranty (GMPP).

Anyone want to buy a 2002 Dakota QC with 63Kmiles on it. PW,PL,Tilt, Cruise, ABS, Automatic, tow pkg, 4wd, toneau cover and bed liner. Good paint. Tires decent. Make offer. Just kidding on that but I think I am done with Dodge vehicles.

I just wish someone else out there made a similar vehicle with a V8 (GM, Toyota, Ford here is your calling). The colorado and ranger are too small. The tacoma does not have a V8.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep an eye on your PCM also. If water can get to it, it can cause a short and get the exact symptoms you described. Good luck with it.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown287
Keep an eye on your PCM also. If water can get to it, it can cause a short and get the exact symptoms you described. Good luck with it.
Or CTM, Just replaced mine, but only once do i remember the speedo going crazy; it went to 120 and then came back quick.

Last edited by bpark8824; 07-01-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002Dakota4.7L
Well the dealer says I need a new cluster to the tune of $800. Lucky for my extended warranty I should only have to pay $100 deductible. Now the bad news if that wasn't bad enough. Apparently since the whole Chrysler bankruptcy vendors are not shipping parts like they used to due to nonpayment. Gauge clusters also have no "in-stock time" So the dealer will not know when my new cluster will be received until it is received. Also apparently these clusters need to be programmed by the factory with mileage and possibly VIN so my truck could be down for anywhere from 3 days to several months.

Is there any other way or can anything else go wrong with this truck.

Bought it used 8/06 with 37K miles for 16000. CD player died almost immediately. Replaced by the dealer for free with a "new" radio. Which subsequently died within 6 months again and I think still has a CD in it. Not worth it to fix at least to me, Radio works fine. The 2 rear stabilizer bars needed to be replaced 7/07. The rear end went 10/08 to the tune of $3800 also covered by warranty. Lower driver ball joint and 2 outer tie rod ends replaced 3/09. Now the gauge cluster has been on the fritz since 4/09 and if I bring it in on Monday 7/6/09 I may not have it back until Sept. or later. Anyway I am glad I got the Chevy Extended warranty (GMPP).

Anyone want to buy a 2002 Dakota QC with 63Kmiles on it. PW,PL,Tilt, Cruise, ABS, Automatic, tow pkg, 4wd, toneau cover and bed liner. Good paint. Tires decent. Make offer. Just kidding on that but I think I am done with Dodge vehicles.

I just wish someone else out there made a similar vehicle with a V8 (GM, Toyota, Ford here is your calling). The colorado and ranger are too small. The tacoma does not have a V8.
I had similar luck with my first dak. Motor went, trans went, tierods broke, brakes went, and it was running like dog $hit when I sold it... I practically gave it away just because I didn't want it. So I took chance two on another dakota this time with a 4.7 and a manual and so far ok... just replaced the CTM and my ball joints are shoot

You bought a Dakota get used to it lol.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Or CTM, Just replaced mine, but only once do i remember the speedo going crazy; it went to 120 and then came back quick.
When I first started installing my alcohol injection I hit the pump activation by accident and it sprayed my pcm where I had tapped into the cam and crank. My entire gauge cluster went wacky for about 24hrs, lol then it dried out and was fine.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
2002Dakota4.7L
Rookie
Default Update!!!

Dropped it off Monday. Parts should be in tomorrow(Friday). Will report back.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Freaking Out!!!