2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Solve one problem,another one shows up

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Gicantor
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solve one problem,another one shows up

I swear, I'm ready to drive this truck off a cliff.

I have owned this truck since january and have had nothing but problems.

-first a transmission shifting issue
-then a random stalling issue, to which it finally died and had to be towed.
-then a fuel pump circuit issue, which stemmed from the random stalling issue(long story). I finally fixed it after 4 hours of diagnosing.

And now, I have a leak in either the rear window or the passenger side rear window which leaked into the cab and shorted out my speakers and destroyed them.

I found water in the jack compartment under the rear seat.

So now I have to rip out all the panels and try and locate this leak, then replace both rear speakers.

Luckily they have all been cheap to fix but it's annoying when **** continuously screws up.

ahhhh now I feel better. Thank god I booked two weeks of holidays.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:22 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea that sucks... you should just sell it to me for cheap since it has so many problems. i'll even throw in my 1988 dakota that has no power options (not even power steering), no radio, no speakers at all, no real exhaust and the back half of the truck is painted with some kind of house paint and a paint brush (im not kidding). it does, however, seem to be alot more reliable than your truck. ive owned it for 2 years and its never given me a problem with 250,000 miles on it.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:14 AM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes but once everything is fixed you feel so much better, the 46re is a crap tranny, i hope you got it fulley rebuilt, the stalling issue could have been from the tranny also, mine use to stall going into reverse, which is caused of loss pressure going into reverse, a transgo shift kit will make your tranny alot more reliable.

I also have a 2000 Dakota R/T, and everything on the damn truck has been replaced, besides the rearend, which i have a feeling is coming soon, since my passanager side tire wiggles and i dont have any bent rims, it has to be the axle shaft, and if thats the case.. im just going to have a dana 60 or dana 61 put in and a detriot locker with 4.56s... and THEN my truck will be fully rebuilt...

the last owners that owned my truck didnt keep up on it, they just ragged the **** out of it, kinda sounds like the same thing your last owners did...

all she needs is a little TLC and she will be nice to you, my truck loves me, she only messes up at my house and never leaves me on the side of the highway.... she stays strong till im safely home and then takes a crap till i fix her again...

and i rag the crap out of her..

Old 05-10-2009, 04:36 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your closer to Arkansas than Ohio (where Wink is)... instead of driving your truck off a cliff, I'll trade ya But for my '86 Honda CRX-POS. I wouldn't part with my Dakota.

Just throw some clear silicone on the window and call it good.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah Ive been threw the same thing as you but it was with a 78 jeep cj. Ive got water coming in from under the dash of my truck before I used the shop vac you could get your hand soaked so my next project is to take the whole dash off

Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 AM
big.bryant
Champion

Yeah everyone's had their own fair share of problems at one time or another with these trucks, i would just say rebuild it (as User talked about) and have fun with it.

Not only that but we would all have fun watching you make the badassest dakota you can

Old 05-11-2009, 01:31 AM
jar1zx

its the joy of having a used dakota. join the crowd. you need time and money
time to work on it and money for new parts. but in the long run its way cheaper than a new truck. an i like the 2nd gen look.

and i love the being paid for part of my truck. no payments yes

Last edited by jar1zx; 05-11-2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Gicantor
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
If your closer to Arkansas than Ohio (where Wink is)... instead of driving your truck off a cliff, I'll trade ya But for my '86 Honda CRX-POS. I wouldn't part with my Dakota.

Just throw some clear silicone on the window and call it good.

What silicone it from the inside or outside? Wouldn't that look kind off ghetto from the outside? I was going to take it into a glass place and have them take it out and reseal it. I still have to find it first cause I'm not sure which window it is.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Gicantor
Rookie

Originally Posted by big.bryant
Yeah everyone's had their own fair share of problems at one time or another with these trucks, i would just say rebuild it (as User talked about) and have fun with it.

Not only that but we would all have fun watching you make the badassest dakota you can
Well my plan was to keep it mostly stock as its my daily driver. Cause we all know the more you modded stuff, the more things break.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:18 AM
big.bryant
Champion

yeah i hear ya on that. I would just say "make it your own."

Its a sick truck and if tastefully modded, can be x10 better

Quick Reply: Solve one problem,another one shows up