2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

flowmaster outlaw muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
reddakota34
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flowmaster outlaw muffler

I thinking about geting a flowmaster outlaw muffler, And i was wondering if anyone has any experience running the muffler? And my exhaust is single into y pipe dauls and would it hurt performance to put a muffler in front of the y pipe? Or should i just bye a 1 into 2 muffler.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

so your saying the muffler your getting is single in single out? with a y-pipe after that? i would say just get a single in dual out. the 44 series flowmaster is pretty mean, if your looking at flowmasters. thats what i have on my truck. imho i like to just have the least amount of pieces in the exhaust system under the truck. it looks neater (even though you cant see it). but hey thats just me!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

X1 on what tamcnally said.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 AM
reddakota34
Professional

Okay thanks for the input, but would it hurt to have a single in single out in front of the y pipe like as in performance or sound? And is there a differnce in sound betwen the shory oulaw muffler and the reguler sized one?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 AM
User
Champion

The less pipe AFTER the muffler the louder it is, the more pipe AFTER the muffler (if you installed before y pipe) the quieter and more dampened it will be.

Also the way you explain your exhaust it makes no since to me.. or its because its 7am and i have not slept yet.

Your Exhaust should go from Exhaust Manifolds > Y Pipe > CAT > Muffler > Tips

Do you already have a cat back system on your truck as of right now? With a single in duel out muffler giving you "none" true duel exhaust basically for show?

IMO if you want/worried about performance, i would go for less pipe and better air flow meaning get rid of the in1 out2 muffler and go with a single chamber 1 in 1 out muffler and have it dumped before the rear axle...

you wont pick up 200hp but it frees up the exhaust flow and should let things exhaust better, as long as you have a cat and muffler your BP should be fine... the dump will also give it more of a deeper race tone. Due to it echoing back and forth from the ground and truck

Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
fldodge4x4
Rookie

I love my flowmaster 40s. best exhaust ever

Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Ok user if I chop a few feet off after my muffler with that make a difference in the sound? I want it to be a bit louder and deeper (yes I know its a 3.9 BUT it sounds awesome for a V6 ). I may go with the flowmaster 44 later as my exhaust is starting to rust again. For now if I can chop some pipe off and get a little bit better sound Im all over it. Save me some weight too!!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:20 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

if you chop your exhaust off after the muffler and dont have some sort of exit out the back somewhere, then it will just echo under the bed. it will be louder, and especially be louder in the cab. i had that for a while and it got old real fast.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Well it would be under the bed somewhere. Probably around the rear axle, Ill have to look at it tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 AM
User
Champion

Originally Posted by RoaminGnome
Ok user if I chop a few feet off after my muffler with that make a difference in the sound? I want it to be a bit louder and deeper (yes I know its a 3.9 BUT it sounds awesome for a V6 ). I may go with the flowmaster 44 later as my exhaust is starting to rust again. For now if I can chop some pipe off and get a little bit better sound Im all over it. Save me some weight too!!
Yes.. just take it to a muffler shop and have them install a turndown after the muffler.

My turndown is right out of the muffler... since the torque snapped the welds on my side exit.. i never put it back on.. just have a cat, muffler then no pipe.. lol...

My muffler is pretty much the last part of my exhaust.. i have no tips.

Quick Reply: flowmaster outlaw muffler