2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 AM
dak2000ota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torsion bars

i have a 2000 4.7l, 5spd, ext cab,4x4, slt..... im cusious to why my front end sits so low ive noticed it in other dakotas. yet some seem to sit level. i was wonder if it had to do with the torsion bars and am thinking about turning mine up to get it to sit level.....whats involved in this? ride quality? harder on other front end parts? id really be thankful for some information

thanks Ian

Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM
dublduty
Professional

There is a lot of controversy as to what a torsion lift will do to the front end parts. I personally had mine done for about two years and have had no ill affects on anything, and they are about two inches if not 3inches up. The bolts are located in the middle of the truck( follow the torsions back). Turn each one clockwise and the front will lift. Some take the weight off the front end by jacking first but it is not needed. Make sure you measure so the truck remains level and dont forget to align right away. The tops of your tires will lean out and you will wear the tires off in no time...... Good luck

Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Billiam
Champion

Originally Posted by dublduty
There is a lot of controversy as to what a torsion lift will do to the front end parts. I personally had mine done for about two years and have had no ill affects on anything, and they are about two inches if not 3inches up. The bolts are located in the middle of the truck( follow the torsions back). Turn each one clockwise and the front will lift. Some take the weight off the front end by jacking first but it is not needed. Make sure you measure so the truck remains level and dont forget to align right away. The tops of your tires will lean out and you will wear the tires off in no time...... Good luck

Well I was going to say the same thing, perfect.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM
ZANGADO
Rookie

I have lifted my dak's front end about a year ago by cranking the torsion bars also just to level out the front end.It rides alot more rough and corners better and i have not seen any premature wear on any parts at all,i just had it in for an inspection last month by the guy who cranked them up for me and he said everything is fine underneath so far.It now sits level on all four wheel wells and looks like it is four wheel drive now instead of a one legger dak.

Quick Reply: torsion bars