2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need door lock advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:33 PM
ricbrk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need door lock advice

OK, my 2001 Dakota power door locks keeps locking the doors. Even when they're locked, it keeps clicking trying to lock them again. I pulled back the rubber accordion boots that go from the door to the cowl on both sides, and unplugged both the doors harnesses. That eliminated the door switches and lock mechanism. The module under the dash was still clicking trying to lock the doors ? The plugins coming through the cowl were in good shape, and no evidence of any shorting or broke wires. The only two other things it could be is the module itself under the dash bad, or a guy told me that the speed sensor may be sending the module a pulse to lock the doors. "Dakotas automatically lock the doors when you go over 15 MPH. When I unplugged the cable from the module that controls the door locks, the clicking stopped, but the head lights and power windows didn't work. I am taking the negative off the battery every time I park it, but that sucks. Any ideas ??? PLEASE

Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I doubt it's the vehicle speed sensor. You would have other problems plus a code stored and check engine light on if the VSS were bad. You probably need to replace the Central Timer Module. The CTM controls the door locks plus nearly every other electrical accessory function on the truck. This is why the locks stopped chattering and the lights and windows stopped working when you unplugged the module under the dash. The module is the CTM. The only way to test it to be certain is at the Dodge dealer with the DRB scan tool. But CTM failure is more common than you might think. It will probably cost between $300 and $400 if the dealer replaces and reprograms it for you. They will use your VIN to order the right CTM for your truck. There are 2 different CTM part numbers, one for loaded trucks with power windows, locks, keyless entry, etc and one for those trucks without all the power options. They will also use the DRB to re-program your original keyless entry remotes to the new CTM so if the dealer fixes it be sure you take both remotes with you so they can program both remotes if your truck has the OE keyless entry system.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Need door lock advice