2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

truck update

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Loud Pedal
The Total Package
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what no help? wow you might as well lock this thread because im getting no help

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 08-25-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Unnecessary
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM
tamcnally
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im guessing you will have to pull the pistons out through the top of the engine. from experience of rebuilding engines they wont go out through the bottom, but i mean take the heads and pan off and pulling those right out the top will be a snap.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Whoa! as far as my knowledge goes, I have never ever heard of anyone doing a rebuild by pulling the pistons through the bottom?! Its not even possible, there's no clearance down there. You have to pull the heads then pull the pistons through the top You do have to of course go through pulling the pan off so you can get to the crank and rods so this all is possible... Its much easier to pull the entire engine out to do this kinda stuff. Make sure you do this like you are in an operating room... stay clean, and torque everything to specs. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Loud" When you get ready to put a hemi in it let me know I'll help.You can get a complete Motor-Trany, with wiring harnesses for around $2,500.00. As for the Drive-shaft. You won't have to change that, "the rear end, Or the radiator".The wiring diagram I'll send you will have the color coded wires( From" & "To )where they belong.Don't forget to get the Vin. Number off the doner truck in case you have to hook it to a computer programmer. You can do the swap for less than $4,000. If you do the work yourself.Now that you have to put money into it any way,you may as well build what you want."You can do it."

FIXING YOUR MOTOR...
I don't think you'll be able to take the oil pan off you're truck with the engine mounted.You're going to have to pick the motor up.pull the oil pan then get to the connecting rod bolts to get the piston out rather you pull it out from the top OR the bottom.You might as well just pull the motor out and put it up on an engine stand.

Quick Reply: truck update