2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

gen2 quest

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009 | 11:18 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Cool, but you will eat up the extra cash in gas in about 6 months. I bet that thing doesn't get over 10mpg. But still a cool truck.

Old 10-04-2009 | 08:37 PM
shelbydaytona
|
Banned

i got it running just a bad fuel pump relay. had to put in fresh gas, drove it 100 miles with a full tank and refilled took 5.5 gallons so looks like i'll be pulling mid teens for mileage sounds about the same as a 4x4 auto 5.9 dakota. i figure the couple thousand miles a year id use the truck, i can buy a lot of gas for the $2700 i saved over buying the truck i was asking about. heck even if i got a $1500 dakota saving $1200 and getting about the same gas mileage, i guess i'll still be ahead for a long long time.

Old 10-04-2009 | 08:51 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Sweet, my dodge pulls off 22 mpg at 63mph... I have a 4.7L v8, 6 speed manual and 4 wheel drive...

Too bad you didn't get a dodge... From what I recall, Fords are notorious for ****ty mileage...

Old 10-04-2009 | 09:11 PM
shelbydaytona
|
Banned

but if you compare how much you spent on your truck and how much i spend, i bet the difference is way more than i'd ever spend on the difference in fuel over the next 20 years. 4-5mpg less for me with a difference in price of say $20,000. that much difference is a pretty sweet down payment on a nice house instead of a trailer/double wide/ or modular home

Old 10-05-2009 | 01:25 AM
User
Champion

Find a new cluster from a part out 20$ easy fix...

Heatercore is easy also, just time consuming.

It is located on the firewall on the inside of the cab. You will have to lean the dash forward to get to it and then undone some bolts on the firewall in the bay to get the heater core/evap/fan out of the truck.

You will have to pull the cluster (need to replace anyways)
Drop the steering column, take off the front dash cover aka bezal
Take out glovebox, undo about 6-7 harnesses and about 1 million wires (just use tape and label them)
Also get a **** tone of baggies and label them with the correct screws you have in them for the correct part they came from.

Its also easy to take out the seats and center console while you do it. Gives you more room and easy to work with.

Its actually easy to do just alot of parts to take off and put back on.

I did mine awhile back.

Dash after you lean it forward

Where the heater core and evap and blower is located behind the dash

Wire fest 2009

Old 10-05-2009 | 11:47 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

this is really nice and helpful. It should be made a sticky

Originally Posted by User
Find a new cluster from a part out 20$ easy fix...

Heatercore is easy also, just time consuming.

It is located on the firewall on the inside of the cab. You will have to lean the dash forward to get to it and then undone some bolts on the firewall in the bay to get the heater core/evap/fan out of the truck.

You will have to pull the cluster (need to replace anyways)
Drop the steering column, take off the front dash cover aka bezal
Take out glovebox, undo about 6-7 harnesses and about 1 million wires (just use tape and label them)
Also get a **** tone of baggies and label them with the correct screws you have in them for the correct part they came from.

Its also easy to take out the seats and center console while you do it. Gives you more room and easy to work with.

Its actually easy to do just alot of parts to take off and put back on.

I did mine awhile back.

Dash after you lean it forward

Where the heater core and evap and blower is located behind the dash

Wire fest 2009

Old 10-05-2009 | 12:34 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Sweet, my dodge pulls off 22 mpg at 63mph... I have a 4.7L v8, 6 speed manual and 4 wheel drive...

Too bad you didn't get a dodge... From what I recall, Fords are notorious for ****ty mileage...

How does that 6 speed due on steeper hills on the highway? What kind of rpm are you running at 70? And whats the rear gear ratio?

I know my 5th is too long and I end up slowing down on steeper hills... I wish i had the 3:92's.

Quick Reply: gen2 quest