2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

FAQ Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:33 AM
ramitt360
Professional

I had my old 1998 Dakota converted from v6 to a 5.2 v8. I did the old school thing though and went with a 318 out of a 71 power wagon. The engine bolted right up to my 5 speed however you will need custom motor mounts for the engine was pre magnum. I understand that any magnum would bolt to the existing motor mounts. Basically I eliminated all the wiring and computer and all that nonsense that comes with a fuel injected engine and went back to the basics. The stock exhaust works with the LA engine. You will need to buy an electric fan because the engine fan hits the radiator, I also did not use the fuel pump since it was on the engine. Another thing is that we couldn't use the oil pan on the LA engine. I am not sure if they make an aftermarket oil pan for it now or not but we cut the end off of it and welded the v6 end on it. As long as you are a good welder you can get away with it fine. Basically it is an easy swap other than the motor mount and oil pan situation. We bolted the engine straight to the frame with no rubber which raised a lot of eyebrows but was fine. Most of my money went into buying parts such as, headers, custom dual exhaust, Edelbrock 4brrl intake+carb, march's performance billet aluminum serpentine conversion pulleys, mopar performance ignition, electronic distributor (do away with the points), and those types of must do's.
If i could do it again, i would have put the 5.7 hemi in it for sure. I looked into it very much afterwards but couldn't think of putting that much more into that truck. I will try to find the how to page that I had found but basically all you will need to do is eliminate the break booster because the HEMI is too tall. You will need a setup like a mustang has, or at least the 98 mustang I had at one time. It will bolt to the stock tranny and i almost think it bolts to the stock motor mounts. HOWEVER dodge changed the frame on the dakota's that came with the 4.7, which I think started with the 2000 models, The frame is Not wide enough for the hemi and so you are looking at some major mods.

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:39 AM
ramitt360
Professional

oh my bad, I didn't realize I already posted on this one a long time ago. Oh well, I miss my old truck so its nice to reminisce

Quick Reply: FAQ Ideas