2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

B&M or Flex-a-lite?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M or Flex-a-lite?

I was just looking at the summit racing web site and was looking at transmission coolers. I wanted to know what you guys think about the tranny coolers. Are the B&M's worth the money, or am I good with buying the cheaper flex-a-lite. I'm also looking at buying an electric fan for the truck. Does summit sell something that would satisfy my cooling needs. I'm not looking to go cheap here, so if the B&M is worth the money, it's what I'll go with. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional

Almost forgot, I'm thinking about getting the deeper pan for my tranny. Would the deeper pan give me huge cooling gains, or at least significant cooling gains?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

deeper pans offer minimal cooling. maybe 10deg F.

the flex-a-lite will work just fine.

and summit sells several universal fan kits. i actually want to get one myself, just not sure how it wires up.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional

Well after posting,I took another look at what they offer, and I think I'm gonna go with the perma cool with the electric fan for $142.69, and also an electric fan to replace the factory clutch fan. I'm gonna forget about the deep pan. I have another question though. I was talking to a couple guys at work, and of course they're die hard chevy guys and do nothing but bash my truck, but they tell me that a cooler with an electric fan would keep my tranny too cool. They're telling me that it's not good for it. I'm not an expert, so I honestly don't know, but I'm thinking that it's nonsense. Is there any truth to that? one other thing, the replacement electric fan, and the cooler combined draw 12 amps. Would that be too much for the alternator?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Independentfool
Veteran

too cool? nonsense. heat is the #1 killer of transmissions.

12 amps is pretty decent. you have either a 117 or 136 amp Alt. either should handle that load fine, though you might notice headlights dim when they kick on. Much like if you have subs and the lights dim when the bass hits from all the initial power draw.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional

That's what I always thought about keeping transmissions cool, but I figured I should get another opinion. I have one more question that I forgot about. How many cfm's does the electric fan need to be putting out in order to keep the motor cool enough?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM
cbr600rx7

This is somthing i was thinking about doing myself as well why the engine is out on my truck. Is it safe to delete the clutch fan and just run a good electric fan?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional

Yeah, there are a lot of guys that do it, but I'm not sure which fan to buy yet. I need to know that the one I buy will keep my engine cool enough.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Independentfool
Veteran

get the one with the highest CFM rating, that covers at least 3/4 of your rad.
Sometimes they'll be listed as "rated up to XXX HP."
oh and you will want a puller type fan.

dont expect many ponies from this mod, but hey, it sure will make replacing the water pump in the future super easy!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Me&MyMopar
Professional

Yeah I know I won't see much gains out of this, but I'm just really sick of the factory clutch fan. Now that it's colder, it takes longer for the fan to unlock. It's just really annoying to me so it has to go. Thanks for your input, I'm just gonna have to take some measurements and see what I can find. I'm sure I'll be able to find what I need on the summit website.

Quick Reply: B&M or Flex-a-lite?