2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

00 vs 02 Netural Safety

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 03:50 PM
S H
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
That is related to the 7-way connector on top of the transmission case by the shifter linkage. It sounds like a ground is lifted possibly.
I just looked it over this truck has a 8 prong round plug and so does the transmission but still nothing I've tried looking for pinched wires cut wires and grounds even possibly something else and can't seem to find anything

Old 03-22-2023, 03:51 PM
S H
Amateur

Originally Posted by magnethead
That is related to the 7-way connector on top of the transmission case by the shifter linkage. It sounds like a ground is lifted possibly.
Does the 5v wire power the overdrive on off and the temp sensor?

Old 03-22-2023, 06:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Sensor is 5 volts, solenoids are 12 volts.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:09 PM
S H
Amateur

If anyone has some input to help of go to fix this greatly appreciate it I have a 98 1500 360 truck just installed a transmission from a 02 1500 360 and it runs and drives shifts threw all gears except overdrive my over drive off light stays on and so does my trans temp light I already got the neutral safety switch figured out and got some other things looked over can't seem to get it to work right over drive light is on instant and shortly after the trans temp light comes on and don't go off until truck is shut off it has all fluids and has been to temp a few times I've also checked cleaned and put dielectric grease on the 8 pin plug on the case plug and still nothing does anyone know what could be wrong

Old 03-22-2023, 10:11 PM
S H
Amateur

I should also add I've tried ECM from the other truck (made in late 01 but is an 02) and the lights go away but then I have ASD relay problems with the truck and will not stay running

Old 03-23-2023, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Things changed between 98 and 02..... the neutral safety switch, which you discovered, and also the internal electronics in the trans. You need electronics that match the year of your pcm. Swapping in the newer PCM isn't really an option, as other things changed in four years as well. The problem you are seeing is the trans temp sensor resistance values changed between 99 and 00.... WHY they did that is a mystery to me. So, essentially, very shortly after startup, the PCM thinks the trans is overheating, and it disables O/D. You can change the governor stuff, but, you need the retainer for the older style electronics as well.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:09 AM
S H
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Things changed between 98 and 02..... the neutral safety switch, which you discovered, and also the internal electronics in the trans. You need electronics that match the year of your pcm. Swapping in the newer PCM isn't really an option, as other things changed in four years as well. The problem you are seeing is the trans temp sensor resistance values changed between 99 and 00.... WHY they did that is a mystery to me. So, essentially, very shortly after startup, the PCM thinks the trans is overheating, and it disables O/D. You can change the governor stuff, but, you need the retainer for the older style electronics as well.
Alright that's what I was really hoping to avoid but it is what it is but.... Could I pull the governor and retainer bracket out of the 98 transmission and bolt it right in the 02 instead of it's original?

Mainly trying to avoid pulling a transmission out of this truck for the 3rd time and this transmission shifted great and smooth is why I'd really like it in there instead of a random unknown transmission

Old 03-23-2023, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. But, you need the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid.

Quick Reply: 00 vs 02 Netural Safety