2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Gadgetman groove

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:50 PM
KJ790
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gadgetman groove

Has anybody heard about this? This guy is claiming big power gains and huge fuel savings by cutting a groove in the throttle body just after the throttle plate.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Gadgetman_Groove

I can see how it can add the sensation of a power gain b/c it will let more air in when the throttle is barely open. It may even gain a little gas mileage if you drive a lot at part throttle by possibly tricking the TPS. I highly doubt that there are as huge of fuel savings as he claims though. I did check out his website and it is open for people to post their results, and he does not remove the negative results. Pretty much everyone said they felt like they had more power, and most claim to have better gas mileage (most of which are about a 2-3 mpg increase). There are a couple that claim they didn't see any change in gas mileage, as well as some who said they lost a little. I plan on trying this on my extra throttle body on my dakota just as an experiment. I am going to go in with an open mind and will report back with the results.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:56 AM
dinger 240

hope it works........Good Luck

Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

if theres no dyno sheets, its all speculation, get it in numbers on paper, that'll be proof

Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 AM
KJ790

Originally Posted by batman13
if theres no dyno sheets, its all speculation, get it in numbers on paper, that'll be proof
There is a dyno sheet on the link I posted, but I don't know how much I believe it. If I do end up with better gas mileage after doing this then that will be one way of knowing that there is something going on. Right now I am a skeptic, but I'm the type of person that would rather try something and prove it wrong (or surprise myself if it is right) than just dismiss it with no proof.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:23 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

im saying you should do your own dyno sheet to see if it works.

mod your spare TB, go to the dyno, do 3 runs with the original, then install the modded one, 3 runs,
that will tell you if you've made any improvements

oh, and get your air/fuel measured at the same time to see if theres any change

Old 12-19-2009, 09:26 AM
batman13
Grand Champion

and take really good pics and post them in full resolution.
the ones on that site suck

Old 12-19-2009, 04:05 PM
primus454
Professional

I'm pretty sure I have heard this argument before but it had to do with intake manifolds and carbs or thottle bodies. Something like that. It seems common concensus that carbs would work better with turbulence to get a more even fuel mixture. This is a non issue with fuel injected vehicles though because the fuel is a direct injection, it doesn't need to mix to get an even distribution.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:10 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

the idea here i guess is to get more air into the TB, and the MAP will compensate by adding fuel, therefore actually killing your mileage imo,

my trucks already getting plenty of air, i need to get more fuel it leans out near the upper rpm range, so this mod probly wont help me at all till i get injectors

Old 12-19-2009, 07:45 PM
KJ790

Well, I just tried it tonight and just took my truck for a spin. When I first went to leave my driveway I broke the back end loose. Initial thought when I started driving was "holy crap this thing pulls hard!" It has increadible throttle response and hits very hard right off the bottom. I have a feeling that this is entirely do to the TB letting more air through at 1/8-1/4 throttle. At wide open throttle it isn't any different. I live on a big hill, about 1/2 mile long and pretty steep. Before I changed it I tried rolling past a pole at the bottom at 20 mph and holding it WOT to the top to see how fast it would get up to. At the pole at the top of the hill I was doing exactly 55 mph. After I modified the TB I went out and tried it again with exactly the same result, so I'm gonna say that there is no difference in power at WOT or high RPM's.

Personlly I think that this is really just a trick since it is letting more air through at 1/8 throttle, it is like nailing the gas without really nailing it, giving the illusion that it is actually making more power. However, I will admit that the sensation it gives is that of more power. The perceptive difference when rolling on the throttle is much bigger than the difference my superchip, exhaust, and intake all made together.

I am curious to see what my gas mileage does since WOT isn't really something I hit when driving normal. I'd say most of my driving is between 1/8-1/4 throttle, which is exactly where this mod affects performance. I'll keep you guys updated.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 AM
chris1974
Veteran

sure would like to see some dyno sheets from someone on here that has done this. I don't trust the seat of the pants dyno or this dude's website...

I could see where it would effect throttle response, but I don't think it's gonna do much for HP, IMO.

Quick Reply: Gadgetman groove