2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Swap a 08 4.7 into a 2000 4.7???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
jdweasel47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap a 08 4.7 into a 2000 4.7???

My brother totaled his 08 larmie slt 4.7 dakota in 2009 and bought in from the insurance company. It has 24,000 on the motor and trans.

He will sell it to me at cost, but I really only want to swap the motor-trans and seats into my 2000 4.7 auto SLT quad which I love. It has 195,000 on the orignal motor and trans.

Is this a possible swap or are the harness and electrical problems to much for a 36 year old shade tree mechanic???

I love the 08 HP, Torque, MPG and anti-sludge.

Let me Know

Jamie

Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not familiar with the 4.7's but my guess it that the basics of the engine block will be the same. But hopefully a BUMP! To you thread will get someone else to comment on it. Also you may want to try posting a thread in the 3rd Gen and see if anyone over there knows.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe you will need to swap the engine and computer because there is a difference in the crankshaft position sensor tone rings, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hopefully dbilik will respond because he knows a lot about these motors.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
I believe you will need to swap the engine and computer because there is a difference in the crankshaft position sensor tone rings, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hopefully dbilik will respond because he knows a lot about these motors.
Very close, actually you only need to and want to swap the main tone ring, AKA reluctor ring, from your old crank onto the crank in the new motor and the camshaft tone ring on the passenger side cam, but that is minor. The newer intakes have been improved upon a lot. If you can use a torque wrench and be sure to ask questions, double check everything you do, you should be able to handle it. Good news, no electrical work at all. And since everything in the newer trucks uses connectors, the wiring hook ups are fairly easy and you have hard time messing it up since they can only plug into one spot. Once you swap the tone rings the newer 4.7 will work with your existing computer. Newer trucks have an NEC computer system, easily spotted because it has 4 plugs into the PCM. You have a JTEC PCM in your 2000, which uses 3 plugs into the PCM. Your PCM controls only the motor and you have a seperate transmission control module, the newer PCMs control the trans as well.

I am not aware of which version 4.7 came in the '08 Dakota, but the blocks have pretty much stayed the same. The motor itself has been improved upon in some versions, with HO cams and pistons, a better crank I believe, and some of the newest ones have 16 spark plugs and get better MPG. You can get your VIN and call the dealer, see what you have. This is a research topic in itself. Regardless though, you can put the motor into your 2000 QC, and if the gaskets are all good in the '08, they are reusable, all rubber. Meaning you will end up being able to swap the tone ring off the crank for about $62 or so if you do it the right way. Meaning you use new connecting rod bolts, $54, since they are TTY and new mopar sealant to seal the upper and lower block, $8. I'm workign on a HOw-To write up for this, but I haven't completed it yet.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...y-2001-qc.html

There is a little info there. If you need specifics once you get started I can help you out and let you know which tools you will need to start hunting for and which tools you can plan on modifying to make work. Everything is metric.

I can show you how to freshen up the old block too, , but once you strip it down you probably won't want to do much with it.

Last edited by dbilik; 01-12-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM
jdweasel47
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks so much

I am always amazed by the knowledge and sharing on truck forums, I always learn so much. It looks like I will buy his 08 and make the swap this spring. I have a unheated garage and it is 20 degrees here is Michigan. Thanks again, I will give an update when I am done.

Jamie

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When you take apart the original motor do it carefully. The block is still good obviously, and if still in spec could be freshened up. Typically they go cheap though only because it is so expensive to work on and get parts for in comparison to say the old Magnum motors. And if you really get in a jam with the swap I am 4 hours away, but I am sure you won't have any problems.

Quick Reply: Swap a 08 4.7 into a 2000 4.7???