2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

99 Steering Question and 4x4 Light question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
99VtDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Steering Question and 4x4 Light question

Hello all, my first post here. I picked up a 99 Dakota 5.2L with 86K miles. It seems to have some play in the steering. Feels like, when you first start turning the wheel while driving, it takes an inch or so before it actually starts turning the wheel. Is this a rack system, or is there an adjustment on these? I would usually just go check it out myself, but with this really cold weather, I'm hopeing someone here could save me from going out to freeze lol.
Another thing I notice is that when I put it in 4 wheel, the light on the dash does not illuminate. Is there a connection at the shifter that might be disconnected? I know it is engaging as we got a good snow storm a few weeks back and it does go into 4 wheel. Or I know it could just be the bulb.
Thanks for any help you can give me. Mike from freezing northern VT....

Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As for the loose steering it could be tons of possibilities. Your the only one who can figure out what it is. Any of the steering system can cause it. Get an aliment after it is all fixed.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM
99VtDakota

What I guess I meant to say was, is there any more common possibilites?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
pserra

Hi 99VtDakota,

I own 2 Dakota's 1998 and a 2000.

The 1998 Dakota had a problem with the Steering gear box. It gives a lot of play in either direction. I still have not fixed it yet. I have looked into replacing the steering box and it is around 200 dollars for the part not including labour.

I also had a problem with my 2000 Dakota. It had a problem with the shaft that connects the Steering shaft to the Steering Gear box box. It has 2 U-Joints and sometimes they seem to get a lot of play in them or seize. I did replace them as the U-Joints were seizing and it was very hard to steer (Jumpy). I did replace it and it was a little more 250.00. That again is part only.

Hope this helps you out.

pserra

Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM
varsis
Record Breaker

Steering box has an adjusting bolt you can adjust in.

Chris

Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM
pserra

Hi Chris,

Where is the adjustment bolt located on the steering box?

How much of an adjustment can be made?

Thanks
pserra

Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 PM
99VtDakota

So the 99's are a steering box setup? Also varsis where is that bolt located? Thanks a bunch for the replies. Mike

Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 AM
tamcnally
Veteran

Originally Posted by 99VtDakota
Mike from freezing northern VT....

This is no help at all, but where at in northern vt are you? i live in salisbury, vt.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:38 PM
99VtDakota

I'm in Lyndonville Vt.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
pserra

Hi Mike,

I have done some research by Googling and I have cut and pasted what I found important out of 2-3 finds.

On the bottom of the box there is a nut and a screw that takes an allen wrench, loosen the nut then tighten the screw with the allen wrench. It took some of the play out of my steering wheel. There is another adjustment on it near the intermediate shaft as well but I haven't tried it yet to see how to adjust it.

You have to turn the screw clockwise or in other words turn it in. Be real careful not to tighten it TOO MUCH. Those are brass gears inside and if you get it too tight they will eat themselves up. Thighten to the point where there is no play in you sterring and then back it out 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. This will work better if you have someone turning the steering wheel back and forth a little as you are adjusting. Make sure the front end is jacked up and on jack stands. Good luck.

On the gear box you will see a plate that has 4 bolts holding it down and a center nut with a allen head bolt..........loosen the nut and turn the allen head bolt 1/4 turn and re-tighten the nut and drive it....repeat if necessary....

I hope this helps you out Mike, as I will be trying it when I get a chance.

pserra

Quick Reply: 99 Steering Question and 4x4 Light question