2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Torsion Keys, Hard install.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:32 AM
fourpointseven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion Keys, Hard install.?

Just got my Torsion key lift, and was wondering If there's any good tips/tricks i can use to put them in. I havn't installed keys before so any tips can surly be appreaciated!! 3" lift btw.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 AM
ZANGADO
Rookie

Here is a link you might find helpfull,I searched alot when I did mine and used this info. My torsion bars have been crankedup to make the truck even for three years now and have had no problems or odd tire wear,just a rougher ride. http://www.walt-n-ingrid.com/modific...Torsion%20Bars

Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not really, fairly easy install, but a key unloading tool makes it a breeze. You can also use a really big "C" clamp. But most auto parts stores will have the tool that you can "borrow" with just a deposit or rent very cheaply.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 AM
jason14sierra

OK..I have read online in some places that no key is needed..i want to crank my torsion bars to level my truck...do i NEED keys? or can i just simply crank the bars by turning the bolts...also..ive read that you should turn then constantly check to see if level..does this mean you turn the bolts WITHOUT the truck lifted off the ground? so its under load while you turn? this just sounds wrong to me..somebody PLEASE clarify without telling me to check the FAQ which doesnt calrify this exactly..again..I only wish to raise the front about an inch..nothing to rear..

Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You already have torsion bar keys. The lift keys are Re-Indexed keys. The key way is clocked differently than stock. Which allows you to rotates the bar more.

You can crank up your stock keys. This will give you lift. Re-Indexed keys are if you want more lift than stock keys will allow you to achieve.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:45 AM
jason14sierra

ok and by cranking the stock keys you mean simply turning the bolts right? and should i put the truck on jack stands while doing this or do it while its under load sitting on the tires? sorry if im a noob but this is my first truck...

Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes tighten up the bolt.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i forget which member it was but he said after getting his keys and looking how they worked it was the same thing and you don't need the keys just crank the bars you can only get 2" and on that one link if i remember correctly he says its better to do it with it on the ground

Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 AM
fourpointseven
Professional

If your going to tighten up the keys people remember, be on a plain ground(level) and turn one then the other the same amount. you dont want one side of your truck higher then the other. Also, by doing this the more you tighten the stiffer your ride will be.

But for my question, I have put the rear blocks in and the keys and found that i cannot achieve the same height as the front as the rear. I know that my truck always looked bigger in the rear but i figured this as a levling kit would you know, level the front. but i got the new keys installed and cranked but im still looking lower in the front. But the truck has heightned up nonetheless. anyway to actually level out the front?? im kinda dazzled

Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smaller rear blocks is the only way

Quick Reply: Torsion Keys, Hard install.?