2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Worth the hassle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 AM
Spilly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth the hassle?

Alright, I'm new to the forum and the whole dodge scene. Looks like a pretty good community you guys got going here.

Now here is my situation. I have always like the look of the 2nd Gen. Dakotas. I have a really 'power tooth' I guess you could call it but the problem is that I am trading my modded Honda Prelude (worth about $6500 CND) for a 98 Dakota Sport 4x4 5spd V6 Magnum. Now I'm sure the V6 will do all I ask of it.. for the first few days.

Now what I was wondering is if I get the V6, whats the power like, can if handle off-roading and 'spirited' driving? and What kinda cost would I be looking at for a decent used V8 Magnum and necessary components for a swap? I know I would like the V8 cause my buddy has a V8 Mag 5 spd and its a beast to put it lightly.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Spilly

The Dakota is a very sharp looking truck its red with about 3 inches of suspension lift and 31s on black rims with chrome bead locks.

And there would be no cost of installing the 5.2l, me and a couple buddys could do it over a weekend or something.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:18 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

Parts for swap to a v8. Throttle Cable, computer and wire in two injectors and it will work. As long as the computer works. Also we have disproved the computer theory. We have a 96 ram computer and it works in my friend 03. (Just plugged it in and tried it with the v6 just for out of curiosity. Almost fired and was dumping gas and spark so it works.)

As for the 5spd make sure it's the nv3500. Not the light duty tranny. Than it will handle the v8 power.

Chris

Old 01-18-2010, 02:33 AM
Spilly

Originally Posted by varsis
Parts for swap to a v8. Throttle Cable, computer and wire in two injectors and it will work. As long as the computer works. Also we have disproved the computer theory. We have a 96 ram computer and it works in my friend 03. (Just plugged it in and tried it with the v6 just for out of curiosity. Almost fired and was dumping gas and spark so it works.)

As for the 5spd make sure it's the nv3500. Not the light duty tranny. Than it will handle the v8 power.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I read about your 5.9 swap and congrats.

Whats the difference between the 5.2 and 5.9? I think I can get a 360 out of a T-boned 99 ram would that bolt up no problem?

and one more thing.. what kinda power and torque can the V6 pump out? I've heard the V6 has about the same maybe a bit more gas mileage then the V8? and if thats the case then I want nothing to do with a V6..

Old 01-18-2010, 04:26 AM
zanethan
Veteran

Tis true the V6 is lacking; however I haven't had any problems with mine and it handles offroading very well i get about 17 mpg with my V6 but would love to have a V8.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 AM
varsis
Record Breaker

millage is about the same compared to a 5.2. 5.9 is about 1-2 mpg less. But well worth the loss! you can get a 360 out of a ram, but you will need the oil pan from a 318/360 dakota, as it will not fit other wise. Thats about the only difference.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just look for a V/8 Dakota and save yourself the time and trouble. You sound like the type that would not be happy with the V/6 so just get what you want up front. Dakotas are plentiful and not that bad price wise. Just be careful to really check out any truck you might consider. Some people really beat the hell out of them. Anyone?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Spilly

Thanks guys.

Every V8 I find is so expensive. Like I was looking at a 1998 5.2L 5spd but it was almost $10,000 CND. Like my car is only worth about $6,500 in the winter so thats the extent of my options cash wise.

Last edited by Spilly; 01-19-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran

you can go ahead and lay waste to any hopes of spirited driving in a V-6 Dak unless you can afford to drop tons of money into it and even then don't expect much out of it. I have had plenty of dealings with my mothers 2000 cc that she has owned since it was brand new including me driving it steady for about 10 months back and forth 500 miles at a time to louisiana. IT TOTALY SUCKS A$$. Personaly I would hold out for a true V8 truck instead of going through the swap. The V6 sucks. I personaly don't understand why they ever offered it in these trucks much less the poor little 4 bangers. I'm not a honda fan but I would rather push a modded lude than ever have to drive a V-6 Kotta again. just my $.02

Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Schuey
Professional

this doesnt help much but i test drove a new v6 off the dealer lot in 03 felt like driving my neon.. then tried the 4.7 v8 dakota i lit up the tires not even trying.. used to pedal on neon.. i picked the 4.7 hands down.. still to this day and 99k miles later from when i bought the dak @ 3 miles.. it still break loose traction when i want it to.. but also when i dont want it to on slightly wet roads.. lol but its funny getting sideways
i run Yokahama GTS tires.. 2wheel drive.. only K&N mods and chipped..buddy got me borla exhaust for xmas.. ahhh what good friends i have but not installed yet..

but to be honest id stay with the import over a v6 anyday.. or go for the v8 atleast 4.7 or 5.2 or 5.9..

Schuey

Quick Reply: Worth the hassle?