2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:30 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always known it as an air hat, but I think I may have been mistaken. Round air cleaner is better. I'll try to stick with that from now on.

BTW, based on your description of air hat, I did that on my 5.9 before I did the round air cleaner and it sucked. It was more restrictive than the factory intake, and it never sat right on the TB. Went to the round air cleaner and loved it.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard that the k&n drop ins are a waste of money. You can make a cai like many others on here have done most I think have cost like 40-60 depending on how you make it and how far you go. As far as the oil on the k&n I dont see how it can screw anything up unless like another member said you put way to much oil on it. I run a k&n on my atv and its close to the carb and i've never had a problem with the oil messing anything up. All it needs is a light coating on the outside and its good it doesnt need soaked to be able to do its job

Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I am gonna find a relatively cheap round one today and run that for the time being. I don't see me going with a "CAI" untill I finish the rest of my stuff and figure out exactly where to mount one where it can actialy get cool air to it. I think I 'll end up doing a very conservative scoop and/or a shaker before I go cai. As far as K&N goes, I'll run one every chance I get. I have used K&N for a long time and I personaly soak them in oil and let the air suck off what wont stay on. I have never had a problem with them. A little oil going down the intake for a few miles isn't gonna hurt a thing.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by wewanaplay
A little oil going down the intake for a few miles isn't gonna hurt a thing.
Eh, sorta. Depends on how much a little is.

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
Well the air hats use a round paper filter, instead of the flat style, which I'm sure you already know.
Now, if you look in the Ram section many guys have done it. It does not cause a loss in performance, and I think the MPG's are negligible. I say that because the added MPG's was only .2 - .5 If I remember correctly.
But according to my butt dyno (I.E. not proven, but was a nice feel) it felt like it opened up the higher RPM's and the engine breathed better.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Even if it is a placebo effect, it's a nice one eh?

Old 03-06-2010, 05:17 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Even if it is a placebo effect, it's a nice one eh?
Yes, it did have a nice feel. The important thing is with everyone that tested it, it did not cause a loss in performance. I don't think anyone has put it head to head on a dyno though compared to the factory intake.

Someone should do that.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
Someone should do that.
Or, run two 0-60 or somethings and see if there is a time improvement. (not really a great way, but it is cheaper.)

Old 03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
somebodynowhere
Professional

What does the stock air box look like in those?... The previous owner had a **** CAI on my 5.9 when I bought it... upgraded to k&n CAI works excellent....but I know a few people in the Euro scene right now and me and a friend did a "Swiss Cheese Mod" on his Jetta and threw a K&N drop in filter in his air box. Basically it consists of Drilling holes in the airbox to let the filter breath more.(Same Idea as CAI Easier breathing for the motor) In the end couldn't be happier. 10X cheaper than a CAI for similar performance/Sound, way better for the money.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

My truck had a K&N drop-in in it when I bought it. 110,000 miles plus or minus later, it is still there. I have bought several of the cleaning kits but have only used like one kit worth of oil. I find I use up the cleaner a lot faster than I use up the oil. Every 1,000 miles or so I pull the filter out and hit it with the air hose to blow the crap off. I would not recommend doing this on you father in-laws new concrete garage floor as it leaves a distinctive red tint Apparently, he does not like red. Who knew?

So, for around 40 oil changes, I have had to buy 0 air filters. Normally, I do the filter on my cars every other change, so I would be out 20 air filters by now. At $6 each, that's $120 I have not had to spend. But, I have bought I think 4 (???) cleaning kits at $10 bucks a piece. So, my savings are down to about $80. Subtract out the $55 for the filter, and the savings are $25 bucks. Now, factor in the repeated time I spend blowing out the filters and cleaning up tiny droplets of oil residue from nearby cars along with taking a considerable amount of time to spray, rinse, wait for drying, and re-oil the filter, and I would say that the K&N is a major pain in the butt for what I get out of it.

Why haven't I just bought a cheap paper replacement and ditched the crappy, oily mess that calls itself a K&N? Who knows? Anyone? Anyone? I find I have some sort of bond with that stupid thing...

Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 AM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you cleaning it so often? Unless you live on a gravel road or drive in extremely dusty conditions cleaning the filter every 1000 miles is not necessary. I bought a k&n drop in as soon as I bought my Dak new because I knew I'd have the truck forever and didn't want to spend money for paper filters. In the 9+ years I've owned it I've probably cleaned the filter 4 times. I'm still on the original re-charger kit. I don't feel like I'm neglecting the maintenance on it at all. I just look at the filter once a year in the spring and if it looks grimey I clean it. If it is still mostly red I leave it alone. It has 46,000 mi. on it and is hardly ever driven in dusty conditions.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

I usually clean mine everytime I change my oil which is every ~5k mi

Quick Reply: Air filters