2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Power Stering question, help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
fourpointseven
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Stering question, help!

So I decided to listen to a Friend of mine when i got stuck this evening.. I was looking for a place to Put the rope to get a pluck, so i listend to him by putting the rope around the frame by the control arms.. turns out When i wrapped the rope around the frame i also wrapped the rope around my power steering hose...so when I i got yanked, my hose Got pulled off..

Good news is, nothing broke, just the hose just popped off.. Drained my P/S fluid and left me with fustration. I couldn't fit the hose back on because one end is crimped on to powersterring return. No big i can get another one, but the real Question im curious about is, Do the Fluid have to be bled? is there a bleed screw on the power sterrin cylinder itself? how can I go about this?

Never done a power steering before, anyhelp on getting this fixxed would help alot!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
SpencerS
Captain

most of the fluid will be already out of the system when the hose was detached. When you get everything hooked back up just fill it up with power steering fluid, jack it up, start the truck and turning the wheels to the left and then to the right until you get all the air out of the system.

It will whine at first until you get all the air out of it.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:22 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

is there any chance of leaks Due to the force of the pull from the pluck? Like tention from the return line to the actuall P/S cylinder?? Those hoses are put on Pretttttty tight. just wondering if i did anymore damage then what i think is done.. Luckly I think the hose just came off from the return to resivor. Could there be any other dmg?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
SpencerS
Captain

If it doesnt leak at all when you put the new fluid in all is well. If it leaks or if its a little harder to turn you might have suctioned the mesh inside the reservoir out of place. But I highly doubt having the hose come off the reservoir would do that.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

well, To ADD to it, i drove home, but its not as bad as you think.. it was only a minutes drive to my place.. found it very difficult to drive, as i do have 33s on my pick up....

Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
SpencerS
Captain

yea, when my power steering pump went out(mudding lol) i drove it home a couple miles. Nothing was damaged.

Just reattach the hose to the reservoir and refill it and you shouldnt have any leaks or problems.

and if it does leak just watch out for the few things i listed.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 PM
fourpointseven
Professional

thanks, your help has been much appreaciated spencer!!!!

P.S, if there is a leak, Perhaps the Mesh inside the bottle is off what could i do? just think ahead so if i do have a leak.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 PM
SpencerS
Captain

you would have to go to a wrecking yard and pick up a new reservoir, you cant buy em new(at least i couldnt find one) individually. I called dodge and they wanted something like 350 bucks for a new pump and reservoir.

But i found a good one of a durango that worked well.

Quick Reply: Power Stering question, help!