2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Cat question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:27 PM
carp1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat question

Hello, I have a 2001 quad cab 4x4 with the 4.7 and an auto. My cat pipe on the drivers side is leaking and needs replaced. My question is can I eliminate the cats on each bank, and just run through just one main one? Will it trip a code? I will be using all the o2 sensors. Rock auto sells one that is direct fit with only one cat. Thanks for the help.

Chad

Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM
00dakSport
All Star

if ur talkin bout the two smaller cats you need those for air/fuel mixture.
bad for enigine
i think people on here have taken the bigger one off but not sure.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

How many 02 Sensors do you have?
If you have one on each side before the small cats, and then one after the larger cat, then yes, you can run a single cat.
If you have one on each side before the small cats and one on each side after the small cats, then no, you can not use the one single cat.

The cats are not used to monitor Air/Fuel, the 02 sensors before the cats are. The o2 sensors after the cat monitor catalytic efficiency.

Having the two smaller cats, and one larger one you probably have California emissions. If you live in CA, then you MUST have both the small cats and the large cat.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:15 PM
carp1

Thanks for the info. I will look tomorrow to see haw many o2s I have. I live in PA, but I have emissions that use the obd2 plug, so I can't have any codes.

Thanks again.
Chad

Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

OBDII is used on all vehicles made after 1996, Cali emissions or not. The only way I know of to tell if you Cali emissions is how many o2's you have.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 AM
carp1

Thanks for the help. I looked yesterday, and found out I have an O2 sensor on both sides of the precats. I called the local exaust shop, and they are going to look at it. They said they probably could fix it instead of replacing all three cats. Hopefully it will be cheaper.

Thanks Chad

Quick Reply: Cat question