2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

diff fluid weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:12 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

They do make a gasket, I know, I bought one for my truck when I got water in my diff and had to drain it. It was like 4 bucks and its a cork gasket. But I'm not saying you can't use rtv that's what was on my truck when I took the cover down.

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:14 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by tamcnally
They do make a gasket, I know, I bought one for my truck when I got water in my diff and had to drain it. It was like 4 bucks and its a cork gasket. But I'm not saying you can't use rtv that's what was on my truck when I took the cover down.
ok cool glad thats cleared up i would much rather buy a gasket than Fing with trying to get a perfect seal with rtv

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:22 PM
00dakSport
All Star

Originally Posted by thunder98110
i was never able to break my tires loose unelss it was wet. now i hit the gas at like 10mph and they squeal like pure sin.
Sh** i gotta do mine too, 90k is probally bad if its never been done.
i'm just not excited bout doing two of them. i can't just do one.

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:26 PM
QuadCabDak

I'm just about to do mine tomorrow, it's got high mileage, and this truck hasn't been driven lightly and I'm sure it's never been changed I can't wait to feel the difference. I'm definately taking the cover right off, it may take a little longer if it all and it's worth it to know that you have a fresh seal on it. It would suck to change the fluid then have the seal go around your cover.

Old 04-08-2010 | 10:28 PM
QuadCabDak

Oh, and I'm just using RTV. I've done it a bunch of times to trucks and I've never had a problem.

Quick Reply: diff fluid weight