2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sony XPLOD Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010 | 11:49 PM
thunder98110
Champion

i had the stock ininifty system and i bought from crutchfeild and they just sent the 2 wire harnesses gray and black then just connected them from the back of my new headunit to the existing wires.

Old 04-08-2010 | 08:53 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by QuadCabDak
Thanks for the tips! I tried resetting it but that did absolutely nothing. I know I didn't drop it either. I pulled it straight from the car and walked further up the driveway and installed it in the truck. I don't know if it didn't like being tugged around or what but in that time is stopped working. I have another question though. Since I have the infinity sound system I had to buy some special harness that had to plug into the back of my deck instead of being wired right in because aparently if i just spliced it in the sound would be incredably lound when my volume was only on level 1 or 2 and sound like crap (or so best buy said), but with this special harness my music isn't loud...at all, not even as loud on max as the factory system was which sucks. Has anybody ever spliced their deck in with the infinity system and tried it? Or am I all wrong with everything (like I said earlier, I don't know anything about stereos, just mechanical stuff)
It sounds like they sold you a convertor to change the inputs to the factory Infinity amplifier to low level RCA inputs and connected that to the RCA outputs on the Sony deck. Yes, it is louder when you don't use that kind of adapter. To say it would be blaring too loud at a volume level of only one is incorrect. It is pretty loud, but you still have some degree of control over the level. I have interfaced with the factory Dodge Inifinty amp countless times, probably at least 250 different vehicles and it sounds good and the customers all liked it. It sounds better than the factory deck. The only downside I ever saw to it was the beeping sound when you press the controls on the Sony was a lot louder. Sony used to make their decks so you could mute that beep if you wanted to. Check your owner's manual if the beep bugs you.

What you can do is take back the harness to Best Buy and get a refund. Tell them you need a regular wire harness for your truck, back in the day it was part number BH-70-1817. It may be just 70-1817. It has a black plug and a gray plug and comes with wiring directions. The BH is for the company that makes the part, Best Harnesses. Wire the new speaker level harness in and be sure to connect the blue/white wires together so the factory amp will turn on. It should sound much better when wired that way. You don't need that expensive low level convertor for your truck.

Jimmy

Old 04-10-2010 | 04:29 PM
QuadCabDak
|

Hey thanks for all the advice, that just what I needed to hear! I'll definately be swapping out the harness as soon as I can!

Quick Reply: Sony XPLOD Help!!!