2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

question about Synthetic oils

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Billiam
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wal Mart has nice 5qt jugs for 20 bucks. Quaker State is 20, others are close to the price too..

Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billiam
Wal Mart has nice 5qt jugs for 20 bucks. Quaker State is 20, others are close to the price too..
Yup, I always get my oil at Wal-Mart. Dirt cheap compared to other places. Get a 5qt. jug and a Mopar filter... Mobil 1 was 23.50 when I went this passed weekend. Valv was $24. I forget what else.

M1 has a new synthetic specifically for trucks/suv's. Not sure how it is any different, but I decided to try it. It was the same price as the regular synthetic.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Brutus

Just a thought...I have seen many engines torn down. And if the oil (anytypeoil) was changed like it should, you can not see any difference. In fact most oil come out of the same batch, like gas does. Not saying the dino oil is the same as synthetic. just like oils are so close. Plus dino oil is changed over the years with additives which help it last longer.
I used to run 5.0L Mustangs back in the late 80's and then I got into Supras. Had used all types. Now I just you Castrol conventional oil. 5W-30. Weight is a more factor than type. And with conventional, you can change it sooner and keep fresh oil in it more often for less. The filter is also more important as well. Wix, and purolator are great. I nver use fram. Seen to many bad test on those.
It all comes down to opinions. How you drive. How often you drive.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by Brutus
Just a thought...I have seen many engines torn down. And if the oil (anytypeoil) was changed like it should, you can not see any difference. In fact most oil come out of the same batch, like gas does. Not saying the dino oil is the same as synthetic. just like oils are so close. Plus dino oil is changed over the years with additives which help it last longer.
I used to run 5.0L Mustangs back in the late 80's and then I got into Supras. Had used all types. Now I just you Castrol conventional oil. 5W-30. Weight is a more factor than type. And with conventional, you can change it sooner and keep fresh oil in it more often for less. The filter is also more important as well. Wix, and purolator are great. I nver use fram. Seen to many bad test on those.
It all comes down to opinions. How you drive. How often you drive.
You know, your completely right. You could probably use Supertech conventional for the entire life of a vehicle and it might last just as long as if you used M1 or RP. I think I do it just for the peace of mind factor. I bet you could run a dino oil and never have a problem. And maybe I do spend more then I need to, but it's all just for the peace of mind that I'm putting a superior (or at least should be...) product in the engine.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:57 AM
00dakSport
All Star

i bought a case for like $50 and a extened guard filter for $5 yesterday.
all the deals are for 5 quarts. i just by castrol its like the cheapest synthetic.
i gotta go to walmart.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Back when the sawmill me and my father work at used to actually make money (not so much in this economy) I used to just order cases of Pennzoil and WIX filters and I never had to pay for oil changes...

Those were the days. Also all the brake cleaner, PB plaster, glass cleaner, rags, ect, ect, we ever wanted. Even though my father is the GM we still can't take the stuff like we used to...

Oh well maybe one day lol

Quick Reply: question about Synthetic oils