2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Why would an alternator not put out a charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 06:10 PM
beefjerky
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would an alternator not put out a charge?

97 Dakota, 4cyl, 2wd, mt.

Since I bought this truck, I've had alternator problems. Every now and then, the alternator would stop putting out a charge. It seemed that whenever I disconnected it and cleaned the studs on it, it would work again. I did that a few times, and the problem would go away for a few months, then come back.

Well yesterday the alternator just stopped altogether. I cleaned the studs, cleaned the bolts to the best of my abilities and reattatched it, but nothing happened. The alternator still would not charge. I went out and got a new one, and I still have this problem.

Runs, drives, starts (until my battery runs out of power), doesn't charge.

I suspect those two small wires. I don't know where they run though, so I cannot trace them to see if they are bad.

Anything at all would be helpful.

Last edited by beefjerky; 05-02-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm not sure about the dak, but on the ram, the voltage regulator is in the pcm. i don't know how it works, but i suspect those additional control wires allow/disallow/control the output voltage.

i had a charging on my simple boat last year and it had a big tangle of wires from the past. i had to connect 12v to only one of the 2 wires and it would charge the battery. when i connected the second one the alt would overheat. i just connected one and left well enough alone.

you might experiment with this a little.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

your 'alt -> battery' wire may be corroded on the inside. If so, replace it with a bigger gauge.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 PM
beefjerky
Professional

Doh, I guess when I stuck the new one in, it blew the fuse. Needless to say I put a new one in and it works. Hopefully this means all my wires are intact and in good shape, and with the new alternator, I wont have to worry about messing around with it anymore.

Quick Reply: Why would an alternator not put out a charge?