2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking for some help guys...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TylerH860
I think you're right on the RSX front.

I believe it was a Mercedes engineer that said, "all cars fall apart eventually, ours just take longer."

You'll be looking back fondly on the good ol' days, just as I have. Since your experience is only with these trucks, and both have been "bad" I understand where you are coming from. Do keep in mind that it is 8 years old and has over 100k on it, so things are going to break.

There's a reason why those 5+ year old audis look so affordable... Once you have one, its a love hate relationship similar to what you're having with your truck right now, only with another 0 attached to every bill.

Newer cars are not built to be repaired anymore, so the engineering is not geared towards ease of repair. This is a problem with all makes foreign and domestic. Couple that with the complexity, high parts and labor cost on the German side, and you've got a problem.

The bright side of it all, it is still cheaper than a car payment and depreciation on a new one. ALOT cheaper. You just have to figure is going to conservatively cost a few grand a year to keep it going. If that's not something you can handle then look elsewhere.

In 2005, I was so sick of my truck, and the BMW might as well have been a starship in comparison. Now that I'm back looking at the costs of some major repairs I may face with my older truck they seem laughable in comparison.
I understand it is an 8 year old truck with over 100k miles, but it has WAY too many problems to be acceptable. Especially after I watch my father top 220k miles on his f150 with nothing but tires, brakes, and an alternator changed.

And maybe an audi isn't realistic, but i don't know...

I love my truck, it just needs to not fall apart every week and we'll be all set. Every vehicle will have problems but none should have this many.

My first dakota the engine and tranny went. This one the engine and tranny are golden but the suspension and electrical are crap... There's no winning.

Last edited by bpark8824; 05-10-2010 at 10:08 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM
zanethan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I understand it is an 8 year old truck with over 100k miles, but it has WAY too many problems to be acceptable. Especially after I watch my father top 220k miles on his f150 with nothing but tires, brakes, and an alternator changed.

And maybe an audi isn't realistic, but i don't know...

I love my truck, it just needs to not fall apart every week and we'll be all set. Every vehicle will have problems but none should have this many.

My first dakota the engine and tranny went. This one the engine and tranny are golden but the suspension and electrical are crap... There's no winning.
Thats weird mine has 131,000 miles on it and has been run into the ground, yet it just keeps going. My advice is to sit down and seriously think about your budget. If you are going to have to trade in your truck to be able to afford an audi what are you going to do if it breaks down in a month? Not saying it will, but its something to consider. Buy the car that you want after all at the end of the day you're the one driving it.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
beefjerky
Professional

Volkswagen Golf Mk5.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 AM
TylerH860

That is the risk you run with buying a used car. Unfortunately, people don't take very good care of their vehicles, and we inherit their deferred maintenance.

The problems with your current truck have not been expensive. Trading it in would be foolish, almost as dumb as buying from a dealer retail lot in the first place. They sell you a car, making 3-5k, then take in your trade for a stupid price, and sell it for a 3-5k profit. You've just made them 5 figures potentially, and you have no idea of the service history of the car.

I bought mine from a dealer because they were wholesaling it out, and the very low price justified any immediate repairs it needed. Thankfully I lucked out, since it was a single owner truck, and seemed to be an enthusiast.

Last edited by TylerH860; 05-11-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM
ebarrera661

How about an Evo, or a Toyota celica Gt-4? I have one and those cars are really good.

Quick Reply: Looking for some help guys...