2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New Cold Air Intake makes hissing noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What he means is it's hard to find a good exhaust system for a v6 that doesnt make it sound like a 4 cyl honda.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohhh....got it. That's the last thing I want. I found a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler that should bolt right up, I am not going to replace the entire exhaust, just the muffler. I have heard that it won't make it too loud (I don't want loud, just SLIGHTLY louder) and the cold air intake that I put on has made it sound pretty good already, so I think the combo of both should work well. If not, I slap the stock muffler on there and return the Dynomax.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the FM 70 series is their quietest muffler.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for. I had a custom exhaust job put in after a morally bankrupt student at my university hit my tailpipe and crinkled it all inwards (they of course left and I came out of class to find it). I went with some random turbo muffler (not sure of the brand) that the shop was probably just trying to get off of the shelf. It started rattling not even 6 months later. 2 Years later and I have finally replaced it with a flowmaster 50 series (great idea). One of my favorite parts though is how I had them route the newer exhaust to sit a bit higher with a discrete chrome tip sticking out. It looks clean and flush.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Question eBay cold air intake?

Originally Posted by MikeCzipri
I just put a new cold air intake on my truck tonight, its an '04 3.7L v-6. It makes a pretty loud hissing noise under part throttle....around 2000 rpm and only if I'm not giving it much gas. If I mash the pedal, it sounds great, just wondering if this is normal or if I could possibly have a small leak?
Was it an actual cold air intake with an insulated isolation box around the filter? I ended up ordering mine off of eBay as well, but I didn't see any CAIs.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Question Intake Install

Last night I installed the intake on my 3.7L quad cab. It was hissing too. It turned out that the hissing was being caused by a kinked breather tube. I underestimated how much air actually passes through it. I solved the problem by utilizing 2 pvc 90* elbows. Here is a picture of what I did to solve the awkward placement of the breather tube.

Photo0265.jpg

I still can't figure out how to mount it with the two dinky piece of aluminum that were provided. I'll probably end up welding a bar someplace such as the wheel well to support it. Currently using zipties

How are you guys mounting your intakes? 4.7L people?

Adding 6" to take it further away from the motor sounds like a good idea.

Photo0266.jpg

Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM
SpencerS
Captain

zip ties work the best! some people make brackets and stuff. but imho, whatever works, works.

example: currently my subwoofer box is being held in place by a seat belt.

Whatever works!!!!

Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
00dakSport
All Star

not sure how different the 3.7's are but on mine there is a bolted plate connected to the 2 a/c lines right near the oil cap. i used a piece of metal pipe wrap to help hold the intake up.

you could get rid of the pvc plumbing and just put a little filter on it. and then plug the intake tube, up to you.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Question Breather Filter & Mounting

Originally Posted by 00dakSport
not sure how different the 3.7's are but on mine there is a bolted plate connected to the 2 a/c lines right near the oil cap. i used a piece of metal pipe wrap to help hold the intake up.

you could get rid of the pvc plumbing and just put a little filter on it. and then plug the intake tube, up to you.
4.7s are REALLY similar to the 3.7s, so it is helpful to see yours.

Can you show me a picture of how you have yours mounted??

I really would like to see it get mounted legit, but the intake came with only two dinky pieces of aluminum that don't look all that helpful. How sturdy are the a/c lines to be depending on them for support?

I bought the breather filter and was going to use it, but i didn't because of two reasons: 1) It was like $5 more than the pvc elbows & 2) It wasn't a matching diameter for the T on the breather hoses and I didn't want to rig it on there. I agree that it looks cleaner with the breather filter, but I was in the hot @$$ sun and didn't have too much imagination. That and I would need to find a way to properly plug the breather hose port on the intake tube.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Smile

Originally Posted by SpencerS
zip ties work the best! some people make brackets and stuff. but imho, whatever works, works.

example: currently my subwoofer box is being held in place by a seat belt.

Whatever works!!!!
Update: I replaced one of the pvc elbows with a better one. I also used zipties and a clamp to make all of the breather connections nice and tight.

Photo0279.jpg

I also got it mounted much more securely. It isn't super pretty, but it is much more sturdy than zip ties and it isn't touching the a/c line anymore. I'll make it pretty in the future. I was finishing it up at night. I just wanted to post up in case anybody else wanted to figure out the same thing.

I used one of the brackets that the stock air intake was bolted to. I bolted the steel strip to it. I picked up a strip of steel from home depot and drilled some holes in it.
Photo0277.jpg

I then used one of the pieces of flexible aluminum that the kit came with. I clamped it to the intake piping with a clamp I picked up at Advance Auto.

Photo0278.jpg

Quick Reply: New Cold Air Intake makes hissing noise