2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New Cold Air Intake makes hissing noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM
jimdf719
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing....

MMMMM...why do you think they put the large air box with the filter in it?
Maybe the Engineers knew best.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
twitchy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdf719
Or they wanted something else to badge up under the hood.

If the engineers knew best, the stock filter box wouldn't have had a snorkel directed into a dead space with next to no air flow.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimdf719

To make it as quiet and inconspicuous as possible. Which is not necessarily the goal of the members of this site.

Engineers know what is best based on the demands and expectations of the average consumer. The average consumer doesn't get as involved with their vehicle as we do.

Side note: Oh and by the way, intake also makes a hissing sound as it sucks in the air.

Last edited by Rantz; 08-22-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: It is the intake tubing making the noise and NOT the filter causing it
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Rantz
Veteran

I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed the intake tubing making the hissing noise. It is the sound of the air passing through it. I think the aluminum might be too thin and that is why it is making this sound. I tested by starting my truck and taking the air filter off. It was still making the same noise. I moved my hand over the opening of the tubing and it changed the sound of the noise. So this tells me that it is the tubing making the noise. It is rather annoying. I think it may be as a result of the cheaper materials used to make it. It was, after all, only $30 on ebay.

I think I will consider lining it (inside and out) with something to help with this. Perhaps a nice powder coating.

Thoughts on this coating idea?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Rantz
Veteran

Update on the hissing sound. When I installed my Fastman Throttle Body today, it eliminated the hissing sound coming through the intake.

Conclusion: The hissing was either being caused by one of the following or a combination thereof: positioning of the tubing, angle of install on the throttle body, bad install, or (most likely) the lip of the throttle body that the air has to pass by is much slimmer now and more aerodynamic.

Last edited by Rantz; 08-31-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: New Cold Air Intake makes hissing noise